Basic LED Info

hi there!

few months back i decided to set up a new line of business and with research and etc. i decided to enter into energy sector.. more specifically i decided to jump into solar power. and importing solar- powered products into my country and market them so as to reduce the load on electricity..

for start up. i decided to work on solar powered street lights. with some homework i came to know that LED is the latest thing in light and its making its way very quickly and replacing the conventional flourescent, incandescent and sodium bulbs.

however my problem is with the understanding to their power and wattage and lumens. .i am really confused with all that.. top it all if i dont understand these all calculations i cannot propose the required solar panel and battery for any system..

can anyone please help me with this in very very simple language...

i have learned the first formula of (volt * amp = watt) also i have discovered that there are 5mm and 10mm led pieces that are commonly used in LED lights. however the availability of 1 watt one piece, 3 watt one piece and 5 watt one piece LEDs is also interesting..

also i dont know nothing about the circuits and etc.. have studied physics in scshool which i hated the most.. but with few bits of knowledge i have gained now i think it is not that bad.. i must be the way i was taught.. anyways can anyone help me with that?

according to my research and email with the LED suppliers i have learnt that 5mm LED produce 2-4 lumens (measuring scale of light) of light and to produce 1 watt of LED light you will have to put 14 pieces of 5mm LED pieces.. Similarly one watt of LED is equvilent to 4 watt of normal light (the concept of energy savers) i.e. using lesser energy and producing more light... can anyone validate that?

also with my friend electrician.. i have made some research which concluded as: 5mm of LED with some power of resistnace consumes

12mAmp. now i want to know that how much amp would it require to lit up 856 LED in either series or parallel.. i have just used the words series and paralled.. just know a little bit about them..

similarly how many piece of 10mm LEDs are required to produce one watt of LED light.. what is their curernt consumption?

what should i understand if one supplier of solar street light quotes me that the lamp head has a 50 watt LED light.. how much light does this LED produces when compared to normal light? how can i calculate the curernt consumption of this light. and also how much power of battery is required to light up this lamp head for 10 hours..?

my queries may sound silly to most,, but i am a new entrant into this all.. help will be greatly appreciated?

regards

Reply to
ghurki

Try this for a start

Allen

Reply to
Allen Bong

Your business should hire somebody who is familiar with the technology.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

It probably is a bad career move, but I can't help but think his issue is not electronic related.

If you're selling lights of some sort, you don't care about what's inside, you just need the results. And surely there are industry related magazines, books, or even websites that compare things and define things.

One might also think there are standards in place for things like street lighting, so one can at least know what the local situation expects. Then you find a match, or start sampling to find things that match the output of what's already there. At the very least, such things are defined in some municipalities, so one could dig some sample information up if the local municipalities don't have such information.

I would also think street lighting isn't something a municipality walks in off the street to buy, they issue tenders and companies bid. The tenders should provide information on what's needed. The winning bidder has to provide not just what is wanted, but at a better price than the other bidders. And if one wants to sell a product that is new to a field, one may have to do some initial work, doing research on what's new and available and presenting a case for changeover to such a system (remembering that the issue isn't just about what gets saved with the more efficient lighting, but one actually has to pay for the switchover which may be more of a burden than the current spending for the power to inefficient lighting.

One may have to spend money, setting up samples, to showcase the new thing. Indeed, a municipality may be more willing to try something new in a new area than to start with replacing existing lighting.

For many people, lighting is either too little or too much. They don't have a proper feedback system for specs, even if the specs are given. Look at all the LED flashlights now on the market, there is no way to compare then in the package, they either don't say anything about output, or they give nebulous things like "1W". And they aren't generally arranged so you can try them in the store. But buy them, bring them home, and try them, and instantly you know that one is better than that one, because you see the results. If they all had specs, the specs still likely wouldn't mean much until you actuall went through a few of the real flashlights, to conenct the specs with a real world example.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

haha... how bout get out of the market? Surely you should have some basic understanding of what you are trying to do before you decide to jump in? Maybe for the next 6 months learn some basic electronics(these are pretty basic questions)? That would be the bare minimum.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter