Baffling simple circuit

The circuit monitors a battery & when its voltage is above an adjustable threshold, it closes a relay. When the voltage drops below the threshold, it turns off and latches off (the feedback diode).

What's baffling is that it works for a second or 2 and turns off. Particularly baffling is when I measure the voltage at the arrow, it stays on. The voltmeter is a Fluke 8000A with 10M input impedance. When I turn the Fluke _power_ off, the circuit turns off!?

The supply voltages are +- 12v, the threshold is 1.5v, and the voltage at the arrow is 1.8v. The op amp "on" voltage is 10.8. All resistors are 10k order of magnitude.

All help will be keenly appreciated, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Is the ground, measured at each ground symbol, really 0V? It "smells" like something is floating.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

It looks to me look like that diode in the positive feedback path stops it from monitoring the battery until the relay turns on.

Jasen Betts

Sorry, (I'm confused) the circuit works with the DMM monitor in place? If not a ground issue (Re Ed.) then maybe it's oscillating?? Try some capacitance??

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks - that's just the kind of tip that I was looking for.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I should have said: the relay powers a timer and does not affect the monitor circuit.

Also, the diode is there to pull down the input when the output goes negative due to falling battery voltage, and keep the op amp from going high when the battery recovers. That was my intent, anyhow.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yes, you should be confused: connecting the DMM "causes" the circuit to work.

Right after I check the grounds I'm going to get out the scope and look at things.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I am guesing you may have created a RF detector at the input using that diode..

also take note that you did say before you are using a +/- 12 supply or close to that? That would mean the output is going to be -10/+10 or there abouts. Looking at that diode in the loop back makes me think the output when -10 is going to bleed back to the input divider and thus current will be present and since small diodes like the generic 914 etc love to act as a detector, you could have noise etc..

Try placing a cap around the diode. Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

OK ... I didn't do full disclosure - there was circuitry that I didn't show 'cause I thought that it was irrelevant but wasn't. Not the 1st time - I should know by now. The whole circuit:

The part on the left is a constant current load.

There was oscillation & ringing on the MOSFET gate. 130kHz base + 10x that ringing. -2v to +5v.

I grabbed a TLAR* capacitor and put it on the gate, to ground. Stabilized it perfectly & the whole thing works. A 10v 6.8uF tantalum electro.

I don't know anything about capacitor choice (this is S.E.Basics) and I've used electros in power supplies to smooth full wave rectified. But I think that I've read that they shouldn't be used on AC (+&- excursions) - they are polarized.

What would be a proper cap to use here?

Thanks, Bob

  • - TLAR - That Looks About Right
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

i woupd put a .1uf at least around the diode.

Reply to
M Philbrook

Right (That circuit's an old friend of mine), put ~10 k ohm in the feedback path from the top of the sense resistor to the inverting input. Then roll off the opamp gain with an integrating cap ~100pF is a good start/gyess. Cap from output to inverting input.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thank you! It's the perfect reply: it's the answer to the question that I should have asked.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks - I'll do that.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks again - it's done and working perfectly.

For my edification, if you don't mind: what do the resistor and cap do?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The gain of the circuit is set by the ratio of the feedback impedance to the impedance to ground. The resistor is added to reduce the gain across the board to something reasonable rather than the huge full gain of the opamp and the capacitor reduces it further for higher frequencies since it only needs to respond to lower frequencies.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Thanks

Reply to