Bad design?

Is this a bad design:

I have 5 connections (switches on a X10 mini home controller) that either need to get shorted with pin A or pin B.

I am planning on using two CD4066 bilateral switches

Each of the 5 inputs would have TWO connections connected to it, one from pin A and one from pin B (outputs of two of the 'spare' switches). As long as I am careful not to have both switch A and switch B enabled at the same time is this a bad design?

I know that I could use an inverter to protect against having both A and B active at the same time, but I am going to use a PIC to control the switching. In an effort to keep parts to a minimum I can do this with careful coding.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" schreef in bericht news:fzxUf.29373$4% snipped-for-privacy@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com...

Not necessarily. It's common practice (bustranceivers for instance) to tie outputs together and make sure the hardware always keeps at least all but one in tristate. So if you have it in your own hand, it will do. It's still the hardware - controlled by your program but nevertheless - that enables at most of the switches.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

either

from

long

same

still

at

Thanks

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

We really need more information. But setting that aside, you can often protect the condition where A backfeeds into B when both are enabled, by using diodes. Example: / A---o o--->|----+---[InputPin] | / | B---o o--->|----+

Actually, if you want to know if the design is good or bad, you need to post the whole circuit. For example, you mention "shorted", but the 4066 will have an on resistance, not a short. Impossible to tell with certainty from what you have posted if the 4066 will work for you.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr