Audio capacitor

I salvaged some boards from a Yamaho radio. HTR - 5460 260 watts

One boards has some 63V 12,000 uF caps.

No voltage shows on both AC and DC scale.

Is it safe to desolder?

I also got a whopper transformer that weighs 9 lbs.

Reply to
AK

Sure. 63 volts is reasonably safe and it probably had less than that in use.

Something like a microwave oven capacitor can be deadly (they mostly have bleeder resistors built in just so they self-discharge and become safe - but don't take that for granted)

You should never find AC on a cap unless it is in some operating circuit.

yes

Be safe with it. Do you have any idea what it was used for? or are the specs printed on the outside?

Reply to
default

There are no specs on the cap.

That white connector at top left is the input cord.

Next to it are holders for one 2 amp and one 8 amp fuse.

There is also a 10 inch heat sink for a lot of transistors. I guess they generate a lot of heat.

Andy

Reply to
AK

There are specs on the cap - right on the side of the cap in the picture 12,000 uf 63 V. I was more concerned that you stay safe with this "whopper transformer that weighs 9 lbs."

In the background of the pix there's a few other electrolytic caps. If that is a switching power supply, there may be some high voltage caps that were charged from the mains 120V line and those could have ~180 volts of DC on them and I'd sure check those before I tried to de solder them. They would also be rated for at least 200 VDC - or more if it is a 120/240 type supply.

RMS AC voltage becomes 1.4 X greater than the AC when it is rectified and filtered because that is the peak value of the sine wave.

Reply to
default

I checked the caps on that board. One is 50v and the other is 25v.

On the other boards, 16 V is the highest.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I thought that 'whopper transformer' was about 10 to 20 pounds light as to what I thought a whopper would be. I have a power supply or two around here that is about all I can do to lift them. The transformer alone probably weighs in at 20 pounds. Now for a whopper, it should be like the ones where I worked. They are about 2 to 3 feet each way for the small ones and about 5 feet each way for the 'whopper' . They convert 13,200 votls down to 480 volts at around 300 to 600 amps.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I used to work at an electric utility.

We had to check the transformer oils for pcbs.

Andy

Reply to
AK