Appliance Output per Hour

Hi there- I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm thinking of purchasing a space heater with the following ratings

Amps - 12.6 Watts - 1500

I'm trying to find out the kw/hr it puts out. I'm assuming the kw are

1.5? When an appliance lists watts is it watts per hour? I'm not sure how I get that watts or kw/hr. Bottom line I'm trying to obtain an estimated cost per month of running this appliance 3 hrs/day, 7 days/week. If someone can help me understand how to get to the kw/hr I'd really appreciate it!
Reply to
ldbk

1500 watts is 1.5 kw. So every hour it uses 1.5 kwh (that's dimensionally kwh, kilowatts * hours, not kw/hr). If electricity costs you 10 cents per kwh, the heater will cost 15 cents per hour to run.

Check your electric bill to see your local cost per kwh.

Newspapers commonly refer to energy in kw/hr, because they all graduated from journalism school.

John

They don't graduate, they run out of money. Then the school gives them a diploma to free up the seat for another paying customer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
Yes. \'kilo\' means "times 1000", so 1.5 kilowatts = 1.5kw * 1000 =
1500 watts.

--
Not coulomb, joule, duh...
Reply to

Thank you! No more "/" in kwh. I did not graduate from journalism school. :^)

Reply to
ldbk

Does this heater have a thermostat? If it does, it could cost a bit less since it may not actually be running all the time. Depends how cold it is and how well insulated the room is.

Gareth

PS if you really want to look like you know what you are talking about, it should be a capital W in kWh because watts are named after a person (James Watt)

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

Sorry, but I don't care how I look.

John

The watt or kilowatt is a measure of energy at an instant of time. Watt seconds, or joules, or kilowatt hours are a measure of power or work. You pay for power, not for energy. There is no such unit as kilowatts per hour!

R >
Reply to
Roger Dewhurst

Get yourself a copy of "Dictionary of Quantities and Units" by J B Drazil (Pub = Leonard Hill, ISBN = 0 24944092). It is invaluable for this sort of problem.

Roger Dewhurst

You can't measure energy at an instant in time. Well, maybe potential energy. Energy is a time integral.

Joules or kwh are measures of energy, not power. And you pay for energy, not for power.

Kilowatts per hour is a legitimate engineering unit, but it's not energy.

John

you've got work and power swapped round.

It's only called a "power bill" colloquially,

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

John,

I meant that for the OP's information. I wasn't intending to criticise your post, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

I know that you know what you are talking about.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth