Anyone made their own LED lamp?

How does one tell one printing from another?

Reply to
krw

Kindle editions should have free updates.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Good idea. Amazon really restricts the Kindle scene - I don't have much hope. Our publisher C.U.P., is creating a live, always-up-to-date html-5 web version that could fix some of these issues. We're eager to see how that works out.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On the second page right below where it says Third Edition 2015. If there's no printing number, then you have the first printing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Maybe the first printing will be worth more some day like it is with Tom Sawyer.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I just bought the book from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. No printing number and all the errors on your errata list. :-(

Reply to
krw

Was it "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." or was it one of the other cheaper sellers?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Try to replace the socket in the device where it's in with a standard bulb socket. Should that fail I'd crack open the base of the failed lamp and make an adapter from that so that you can then fit off-the-shelf LED flood light lamps and such.

I did something similar with a fixture we brought from Germany. It's above our smaller dining table in the kitchen and we just fitted LED bulbs in there. Using adapters, except we were able to buy those. They make the bulbs sit a smidgen higher but that doesn't bother us.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

As one who never rushes to a solution, I'm just going to buy some lamp "fitters", a bowl-shaped glass shade, and change it to a 3X E26 socket arrangement, and outfit it with those new GE stik lights...

I like my office _bright_ ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. I received it on Jan 30.

Reply to
krw

I just bought three to give to employees. I guess I'll order a couple more.

lunatic fringe electronics

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Who knows what's in Amazon's various warehouses. If you like, I'll trade it with you for a 5th or 6th printing. I'm giving some to relatives, friends, etc., who wouldn't care about the printing number.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Thanks for the offer but it's probably not worth the cross-shipping. I'll just go through the errata and mark up the book. The list isn't all that long.

Reply to
krw

Maybe it's just a bad capacitor, and you can fix it?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Sealed CCFL...

I found a socket adapter. But what I'm going to is rebuild the light attachment on the fan to take three conventional E26/27 base, but load it with an LED equivalent... with an open globe to allow decent air cooling. ...Jim Thompson

Dremel, repair components on circuit board, epoxy?

Well, ok, that could work too.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett
99 Cent Only Store seems to be able to keep the 5 W standard 27 mm base on the shelf. If you are too lazy to turn off lights they pay for themselves in ~3 months. If you are really lazy + really cheap wait 6 months and the price will drop to 2/99cents.

I haven't tried a clamp amp meter so I can't say for sure, but they must dr aw more than 5 watts. They certainly put out more light than their rated 4

0 W incandescent equivalent.

It also takes about 5 minutes to convert them to 12 mm "candelabra" base if your tools are already out on the bench.

The best part of LEDs is there is no concern about breakage in the shop or anywhere else. For about 7 weeks in the winter I use a 150 W IR heat lamp for reading as well as keeping warm. I'm always worried about waking up wi th blood all over the sheets from broken glass.

With LEDs it doesn't matter how much you drink!

I've got the cabbage boiling and the corned beef broiling so I'm all ready for tomorrow!

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Wildman project (1800w):

construction:

a bit about his experience with buying these LED modules:

The definition of ?crazy?!

Reply to
DaveC

Bret Cahill

The 5 watt figure is power consumption, although I suspect that they can get away with rounding to the nearest integer (i.e. describing a 5.499W bulb as "5W"). That makes a lot more difference at 5W than at 40W.

Putting out more visible light on less than 1/8th of the power consumption is entirely plausible, depending upon exactly which bulbs are being compared.

A 40W filament lamp has a luminous efficacy of ~12 lm/W, compared to ~100 lm/W for a comparable LED lamp (bare white LEDs can reach 150 lm/W, but you lose some power to the PSU and also need to compromise on efficiency to pack a lot of power into a bulb-shaped package at reasonable cost).

Reply to
Nobody