Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?

If you have a 5.25 floppy drive lying around? You can use the above product to read (only), the data. It does not write to the floppy...

Jamie..

Reply to
Jamie

W. eWatson Inscribed thus:

Anyone Know where I can get a 5" usb floppy drive?

Modify a 3.5" one, just be careful to get one with a normal floppy drive in it, not one of those with the push in ribbon connector or the nasty laptop floppy drive. If you get the right type its just a matter of modifying an old cable or using a 5.25" to 3.5" adaptor. I played about with one a while back. It identified the drive correctly as a 1.2Mb device and worked as expected.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I don't see how this would work. One cannot get a 5" disk into a space for 3.5", or did I miss something?

Reply to
W. eWatson

The 'external USB floppy' consists of a case, USB interface, and floppy drive. Some such devices have a standard floppy drive

34-wire header connector and you can connect those to a 5.25" mechanism. Usually, USB drives are bus-powered and take +5V only, while the 5.25" unit will likely need +12V as well.

So, the really important part of the 3.5" USB drive is just its interface component; you'll need a 5.25" drive, a case, a data cable, and a suitable power supply, to complete the unit.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd Inscribed thus:

I assumed that the OP would realise that he would need an external power source. I just used one of the spare HDD plugs on the desktop machine.

Thats correct ! I didn't bother with a case since it was very much experimental and done just to see if it would work, which it does. The first "Laptop" USB floppy drive I examined had one of those slimline floppy drives using a thin flexible ribbon between the electronics and the drive. Which is why I gave the warning.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Thanks for the input, but it appears Memorex makes one. I thought I'd give our "local" Fry's Electronic store, 50 miles from here in Sacramento, a call. They have them for $40. Next time I'm down there, I'll see what it's about. I just realized we have a used electronics store down about there too. Worth a call. They sure are getting scarce.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I'm pretty sure he is just talking about the electrical connections to the guts. It will work, but it ain't pretty.

Reply to
WangoTango