Anybody familiar with this 'scope?

Greetings Everybody, My son brought by today an old oscilloscope. The Brand is Lambda and the model is MM-2. On the back are three pairs of terminals. One is marked with G & V, one G & H, and the last pair R & S. So the first two pairs are pretty obvious, horizontal and vertical, but I don't have any idea what the last pair is for. The screen is about 2 inches in diameter, and is marked with painted on lines. Two lines, one above the screen center and the other below are marked carrier frequency. Removing the cover shows "NAVY" printed on the side of the CRT. This link:

shows the device. From the web I gather this is a modulation monitor. I think it was rack mounted. Anyway, it would be neat if he could connect the thing to some sort of signal so that it would show more than a stationary dot on the screen. I can buy a manual for 25 bucks but I'm not that curious about this primitive 'scope. So, any suggestions? Anybody got one of these? Or a manual that you would be willing to scan and email? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Looks like the early days of vector scopes. They used overlays to represent data.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Some "real" oscilloscopes have a Z-axis input that lets you modulate the brightness of the spot. I don't know if that's what you have, though.

How about this: come up with a 1.5 V battery (AA, C, D, whatever) and about a 1k or 5k ohm pot. Connect the battery across the ends of the pot and take your output across battery - and the wiper of the pot. In other words:

Reply to
mroberds

** See:

Seems to have couple of tubes inside for DC supply and sweep.

H and V may be direct connections to the CRT's deflection plates.

Maybe try linking S and R.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison