All Ob A Sudden, Starter Motors Is So Small & Light You Can Carry 'em Home In A Filmy Shop...

Summin didn't look right.  The replacement starter motor was 2/3rds the dia of the original, mebbe haf the wait.

I tink, WTF?  Weren't all them optimum nummers well settled back in the early Nicolacene?

I toght, heck, no need to strap it onto the bike rack.  I'll just stick hit into a shoppin bag.

Affer an easy installation, the thang _akutually werked._!

Affer about 2 days a theory hemorrhaged:

Rare earf magnets is so cheap now they look good on any motor's cost spread sheet.

Re: All Ob A Sudden, Starter Motors Is So Small & Light You Can Carry 'em Home In A Filmy Shoppin Bag
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 19:10:28 -0700 (PDT), Bret Cahill

Or copper is so expensive.

Re: All Ob A Sudden, Starter Motors Is So Small & Light You Can Carry 'em Home In A Filmy Shoppin Bag

Or some combination thereof.

The new motor was more expensive than the old by the usual inflation rate.

This is the sort of thing that makes you optimistic about CAGW.

Re: All Ob A Sudden, Starter Motors Is So Small & Light You Can Carry 'em Home In A Filmy Shoppin Bag
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 20:04:16 -0700 (PDT), Bret Cahill

Gear reduction starters are another way to make the starters much
smaller, (if you had one of those you'd probably notice that the motor
is offset to the pinion gear - not in line with it)

It costs more for the gears, but the motor is smaller and there's a
lot less load on the electrical system so the wire to the starter can
be smaller, or the battery located further from the heat of the
engine, the battery can be smaller...

https://www.elreg.com/blog/direct-drive-vs-gear-reduction-starters/

Re: All Ob A Sudden, Starter Motors Is So Small & Light You Can Carry 'em Home In A Filmy Shoppin Bag

It takes less torque to start more modern cars, mainly because of the camsh
aft. Because of more valve overlap the effective compression ratio at idle
and below is less than the theoretical. It is not for pollution as some may
 think, it increases the volumetric efficiency of the engine which helps it
 more easily attain the higher RPMs.

I had a Buick with a V6 and I swear that thing took more juice to run than
to start. The alternator quit and it stalled out but it would still crank.

Site Timeline