Again! Current-limiting resistor for LEDs

You could say that - but the LED won't do much.

Reply to
Ian Field

How do you prevent a LED from shorting itself?

Is the value of input voltage related?

--
   @~@   Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!

LEDs are current operated - a fixed voltage is the least suitable way to drive them.

You have been told this by several different people, if you still don't understand - take up woodwork!

Reply to
Ian Field

What's wrong about that?

All those motherboards out there uses fixed voltage to drive indicator LEDs, I supposed.

I think you are asking for too much from simple LED applications.

--
   @~@   Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

I am talking about those simple 3mm/5mm LEDs here, not those hi-power LED lamps....

--
   @~@   Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Those are even more so likely to be fed via a current limiting resistor.

The fixed voltage comes in where you have predictable volt drop - and current through the series resistor.

Reply to
Ian Field

Maybe you could add negative resistance?

When you apply less than the forward voltage drop, the device becomes a Darkness Emitting Diode, or DED, and it really sucks (light).

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

--
Indeed, and neither would be the LED.
Reply to

--
It appears we're _all_ asking too much from Simple Simon.
Reply to

It becomes a solar cell! Just not a very good one.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

Isn't it inherently PV with no bias?
Reply to
John Fields

How do you prevent a LED from shorting itself?

Is the value of input voltage related?

Why don't you look up basic electronics on the internet (a course) or go to a bookstore a buy a book on basic electronics instead of asking all these dumb questions.

Shaun

--
   @~@   Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Shaun

I expected short answers here. Don't worry, I always google if I know the right set of keywords.