Advice oscilloscope for hobbyist

Hello!

I wish to buy my first oscilloscope (for hobbyist). I have search some information in the Internet, but I still have some doubts:

-I live away of the large towns and I have to buy it from an internet store, from inside the European Union (to avoid import taxes). I have this one in mind:

From german store

a VoltCraft 30 MHz oscilloscope 630

"Professional two-channel oscilloscope for service, laboratory, training and DIY use. Outstanding in its class due to its reliability, technical equipment and price. Clear, conveniently laid out operating elements. Even the smallest signals can easily be read off on the 8 x 10 cm rectangular screen. The max. vertical deflection of 1mV/cm means that even small signals can be measured. The highly sensitive alternating triggering guarantees a static screen image for both channels, even at different frequencies. The TV-V and TV-H operating modes allow triggering of video signals. The XY mode is useful for the 4 quadrant characteristic curve. A 50 W output (channel I) is available for the connection of frequency meters."

- 30Mhz are ok for a hobbyist?

-Does the scope include any probes or I have to buy it apart. Cheap chinese probes from Ebay are ok?

-Any additional avise?

Thanks João Silva Portugal

Reply to
silva

as a hobbyst, you will certainly do microcontrollers and so have to examin slowly variing signals so you need a digital scope very soon with this analog scope you can do audio projects but quite not microcontrollers projects it's better to buy a mixed analog and digital scope prices start around 1000 euros look for hameg combiscopes they start at 50MHz very nice for a wide variety of projects

you can also look at ebay for a used tektronix scope also mixed analog and digital (models 2230 2232 2430 2432 2440) you can get one for the price of the new voltcraft and they are faaaar better...

I bought 4 tek probes (new ones) on ebay for some $ here :

very nice and there are no duties for a small amount of money like this.

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

It depends on the hobby but it should be fine for working with many analog circuits, especially those you're likely to run into as you are learning electronics. This looks like a re-badged GW Instek scope; if so, there are more specs at

except that it doesn't seem to have the extra LCD readout. The LCD isn't all that much more useful (shows the volts and time per division plus a frequency counter) that you couldn't do okay without it.

I'd expect that a new scope would include probes and would be suspicious of the vendor if they were not included. If you do get replacement probes, you'll want to get 1x/10x switchable, with adequate bandwidth (i.e., 30 MHz or wider).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yes, that will be perfectly adequate for a hobbyist.

It should include probes, if not then I would get them to include them at no charge. otherwise take your money elsewhere.

Buying a brand new 20-30MHz analog scope is generally not the best value for money these days, but it's a safe way to do it. Much better value can be had with a 2nd hand or reconditioned unit. But if you go this route ensure you get one that is fully tested and guaranteed working. Do some more shopping around, EUR$319 sounds a bit pricey. Even in Australia (which is generally more expensive than the rest of the world for this stuff) you can buy a brand new dual trace 20MHz scope for a fair bit less than that. You'll get a larger range if you look for 20MHz units. 20MHz is good enough for hobbyist use too.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Check this out:

They have only one left, looks like it'll be discontinued. But at 200 Euros you almost can't go wrong if a simple low bandwidth analog scope is enough. Ships from the UK and says "Código classificação fiscal:

90302010", not sure if there are still import tariffs within the EU.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hallo Joerg,

Here in Germany it shows 292 Euro. Is there a discount for the USA? ;-) For that money you can get a used scope with 3 times more bandwidth and lot's of fancy trigger options.

Regards Michael

Reply to
Michael Kamper

Well, yeah, but Farnell-Portugal had it on clearance for 200 Euros, not sure if it's still there. Used you can always get a better deal, I bought some stuff at liquidations and such. But not everyone is comfortable doing that because you basically buy "as is".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Michael Kamper" escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@mkamper.de...

The price at the bottom of the page is the price for an "alternative product" :-)

Reply to
silva

Yes, the GOS-620 price would be to the right of the last scope on this page:

Euro 200,60. I am quite happy with Instek, got their flagship scope GDS-2204. The knobs and buttons somehow feel more robust than on similar Tektronix scopes and so far the performance is great. But this is a fast digital scope, very different ballgame. I don't know their analog scopes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hallo silva,

Thanks! I was just looking for Euro signs ;-)

Regards Michael

Reply to
Michael Kamper

I've noted just now: the price is exclusive of VAT :-( Them, to Portugal is

200+21% of VAT, thats's aprox. 242 EUR.
Reply to
silva

That's a high VAT you guys have to pay. I just tried and it said:

Subtotal: 200,60 ? Portes: A confirmar IVA: 0,00 ? Total: 200,60 ?

Didn't go any further because I don't want to buy it. Probably they calculate VAT after entering the address. I thought they had to show the prices including VAT, at least that used to be the law when I lived in Germany.

Anyhow, I don't know if you can buy a new scope for less than that anywhere. Another option might be to ask at the local ham radio club or look in the "For Sale" section of their newspaper.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

..

is

l is

Looks like you can:

First hit on Froogle.de

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Wow, indeed, says it even includes tax. I've never heard of the brand Sako though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

E...

e is

:

gal is

01

Me neither. I guess you just take your chances with all these no- namers.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I just think you'd better buy a known brand used scope for that price... just my opinion...

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

INSTE...

200

scope

scal:

EU.

w the

in

=3D301

For more experienced users, definitely, but for a beginner it's not an easy decision. A new scope will be 100% guaranteed working and in spec, and has a year or more warranty on it if something goes wrong. Second hand scopes on the other hand are a lucky-dip, you just don't really know what you are going to get. A "Tested and working" Ebay unit isn't always as claimed. You can get ones that have been professionally tested and calibrated, but they cost a lot more.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Then there are places for used stuff where they give you a little more security with used stuff. Such as Singer oder Flugversand Buescher in Germany. Of course, there you also pay more.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Personally, I'd go for a Rigol, to be more specific a Rigol DS1042CD or a DS1062CD

They are in fact rebranded to be "agilent", I believe they are the agilent

6000 series without the price tag and more standard options

cheerz

Reply to
Peter273

Doggone, that is pretty nice for under US$2000.

Reply to
JosephKK