Activation of a LED light with a 15MV signal

Hi,

For one my project, with the help of my ampere meter I want to activate my LED light with a signal of 15MV/A.

However, I will have a 15MV at the end of one of my instrument, therefore I dont know how to do it or activate it.

Thanks

Reply to
Gilles Lafleche

Can you describe your project? And by "ampere meter" do you mean "ammeter?" Also, describe the LED light you have. Is it a complete system, like a flashlight? Or just the part itself; an LED with two leads sticking out?

Finally, 15MV/A is difficult to understand without any context. Is the M for "million" as in 10^6? Or is it "m" for "milli" as in 10^-3? And V/A would normally be interpreted as "ohms." But it makes little usual sense to consider a "signal" as being described in ohms.

So you have some other instrument, also not described yet, which has an output of some kind. Supposedly, that is the signal you were talking about, earlier. And the output is either 15/1000 of a volt or else it is 15*10^6 volts.

You really should write more about what you are doing and with what. A lot more.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Hee hee, Jon you're trying to read tea leaves. My reading of the title was that he wanted to turn it on with a 15 millivolt signal.... but that ended when I read the rest of the post.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, that's how I took the title, too. Almost didn't respond after reading the post. Some lark made me do it. We'll see if anything more happens.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I'm guessing here that you have a 15 mV (millivolt) signal that you want to use to turn on an LED. The most versatile solution would probably be to use a comparator, which compares the input signal to a reference level (which you set with a couple of resistors or a control potentiometer) and switches its output on when the input is above the reference. The output from the comparator can then operate the LED, either directly through a series resistor in the case of an open-collector comparator, or it can toggle a switching transistor to do it.

The only catch is that the comparator may need a different suppy voltage (or voltages) than you have handy. Let us know what you want to do in more detail, and we can give more specific help.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v5.10 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever! (Some assembly required) Science (and fun!) with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta