AC motor wiring and capacitor use

Hello,

I'm totally a newbie to this but I'd like to get my problem fixed.

I have a chilling system made back in the '90 and the motor kind of died (rotating slowly but never going to full speed). Someone in my department has a similar system made by same manuf. that died for different reasons, so I thought I could swap motors.

The problem is (1) I'm not sure about the wiring and (2) the rating is different.

These are three wire motors (hence based on what I quickly read means there are two coils, a starter one and a running one, the starter one giving more torque). On both motors, two wires run together, and another one is independent. Colors do not match, and even if they matched, I would still like to properly wire based on knowing what the wires do.

Another issue is that the rating is different. The motor that died is rated for 16 microF, and I'm trying to replace it with a 8 microF one. I'm not sure if this means some capacitor may need to be changed accordingly.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Reply to
Trance

You have two different motors. I would suggest that you try a new capacitors on your original motor. To adapt the other motor for your use would require some more specs. Rated HP, torque, RPM, direction, mounting considerations just to name a few.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

In the post above I was wrong. I'm replacing a motor with rating of 8 muF with one with rating of 16 muF. The old motor most likely has one of the coils fried so I cannot reuse it.

Reply to
Trance

The capacitor value is not the motor rating. You say "most likely" has a bad winding, but do you know that? A capacitor is a cheap test.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

There are both starting and run capacitors on some ac motors. Presuming the motor is the physically similar to the one that burned out why don't you just grab the capacitor from the other unit as well?

What does the motor do? Turn a fan?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I would be guessing, but I suspect that he is talking about the compressor motor. In which case he is on a hiding to nothing !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.