AC mains to scope input

Then you didn't work with a lot of RF.

Reflections at high frequencies. :)

One more thing to keep track of, on the bench.

Michael A. Terrell

Not that often, for me, then. 10, or even 50 mV per division is mostly enough. I can always pinch a 1:1 probe off a DVM for the odd occasion I don't mind the capacitive loading.

Switched probes, never.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

That was my approach about 65 years ago and slowly as I learnt a bit more (College and on the job) I was able to understand the risks and so far have managed to only blow one Multimeter current fuse and never damaged a scope. :-)

--
John G.
Reply to

Speed. The highest speed amplifiers (this goes up with time) have 50 ohm inputs. Active probes are the norm in some applications.

Reply to
krw

My Rigol came with some very nice switched probes. All the regular (passive) Tek probes I have here are switchable 1x/10x.

John

I've found that Tek probes have a habit of breaking at the tip. The PMK ones I settled on have replaceable tips, choice of rigid or spring-loaded. I don't like the spring-loaded ones much.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

You're not supposed to use them as darts. I've broken a lot of probes but I don't think I've ever broken a tip.

Reply to
krw

It's the teeny little molding that holds the tip in that cracks and falls out, complete with tip.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse