About Zero Ohms resistors

Could any one be so kind to explain to me what are the zero ohm
resistors and what are they used for?
Thanks!

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

Soldered jumpers.

Jon

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

Convenience.

You could use wire links too but not all auto-insert machinery is set up to do
this.

On the SMD level a zerohm link is the only option.

Widely used to avoid requiring a 2 layer pcb.

Graham

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

   Only in really crappy designs.  OTOH, you rarely see a decent design
on a single sided PC board.

prove it.
Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

I use them for "I might need a resistor here".  For example, in one of
my current designs I've got four 0603 footprints forming a "plus" on
each I/O port (the wires run across the house, lots of EMI issues,
etc) - one from the driver to the common point, one from power to the
common point, one from ground, one from the common point ot the
terminal block.  That way, I can wire it up for whatever type of
filter (RC, termination, 1wire pullup, etc) I need.  Zero ohm
resistors would be used when no resistance was needed.

                      VCC

                      [ ]
                      [ ]

   driver  ----[] []---+---[] []----  terminal

                      [ ]
                      [ ]

                      GND

You can also use them to disconnect parts of the circuit from each
other, either for debugging or for alternate designs.  Sort of a
hard-wired SPST or SPDT switch.

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

Super conductors for situations when you need infinite current but only have
a few volts available ;)

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

   They have a number of good uses:

1.  To configure a board for a particular use.
2.  To ground unused inputs.
3.  To prevent accident reprogramming.
4.  For a Zero dB Pad (Attenuator or gain control) where you eliminate
the two resistors to ground, and replace the series resistor with Zero
ohms for a direct connection.

prove it.
Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

It's just a jumper.  The thing is, a little piece of wire won't fit in the
claw of a pick-and-place machine.  They don't want to assemble by hand, so
the wire gets a little epoxy jacket to make it fatter.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

to replace the solder blob, hope I speel it correct :)

Re: About Zero Ohms resistors

jumpers?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.