A 3 Tesla Electromagnet

Hi, I have plans to make an electromagnet of about three Tesla. I don't know whether it might seem ignorant of me to wonder whether I could do this with a capacitor bank for the pulse and using a soft iron core 13mm diameter x 15cm long and some enamelled copper wire, (but I don't know what grade/resistance)? If this is gonna be unacheivable, can you let me know what's as close as possible that I can do with the given materials. Either way could you also tell me what thickness of the copper wire I'd need for either option. Thanks.

Reply to
blah blah

Hi, I have plans to make an electromagnet of about three Tesla. I don't know whether it might seem ignorant of me to wonder whether I could do this with a capacitor bank for the pulse and using a soft iron core 13mm diameter x 15cm long and some enamelled copper wire, (but I don't know what grade/resistance)? If this is gonna be unacheivable, can you let me know what's as close as possible that I can do with the given materials. Either way could you also tell me what thickness of the copper wire I'd need for either option. Thanks.

That is going to be a hugh electromagnet.

MRI machines typically use an electromagnet of 1 to 2 tesla, why don't you try to find some information about them. The electromagnets in MRI machines are designed to run continuously for a while.

A small core like that will probably saturate and you won't get a field high enough. You will probably have to go air core.

The action of the coil will reduce the peak current that you could get from the capacitor bank. Defibrillators really on that principal so that you don't burn the patient and also to stretch the electrical pulse that does the defibrillating.

When you choose your wire gauge, you should look up the fuse rating of each gauge of wire, at the same time, do some math to determine the peak current.

Shaun Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

hines

It is in fact somewhat modeled on that, but I am trying to create a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator which uses around the same amount of gauss, but yes, I think for now, with what I have 1 tesla sounds reasonable.

igh

Alright. Would that be something like a pvc pipe I could use?

om

ch

Thanks for all that info, was really helpful.

Reply to
blah blah

It is in fact somewhat modeled on that, but I am trying to create a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator which uses around the same amount of gauss, but yes, I think for now, with what I have 1 tesla sounds reasonable.

Alright. Would that be something like a pvc pipe I could use?

Thanks for all that info, was really helpful.

Another factor that you will have to deal with is reverse charge on the capacitors, and weather or not your capacitors can handle that. You are making a resonant circuit; Capacitance and inductance. When the capacitor stops charging the inductor, the field starts to collapse and the inductor then charges the capacitors in reverse polarity.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Do you want the magnet to survive its first pulse? The problems here include mechanical support of the wiring, it will probably deform (and if the pulse is short compared to speed-of-sound, it will generate shockwaves, too).

Large pulse magnets are usually made of strong materials, like bronze, for the windings. Or, they're disposable one-shot items.

Reply to
whit3rd

OP might lookup "bitter solenoid", but good luck making one.

I've made one-shot coils for magneforming. I have no idea what the field strength was other than the cap bank was charged to around around 10kJ, It was easier to just throw the solenoids away as they self destructed than try to make something more sturdy.

I never never checked if the coils exploded before there was "bad" ringing passed back into the capacitor banks.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader