Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Microcontroller operating in 70 celcius
Hello, In my project, my microcontroller may have to operating in +70 celcius C.Will this temperature influence the board behave? Any electronic elements on the board could be have a problem with the...
7
7

What's the Big Deal With Load Leveling?
You'd thing the info age would have made load leveling less of a problem. Instead it seems to have had the opposite effect. What's the problem now and why wasn't it a problem before?? Bret Cahill
9
9

Current regulator
Hi. I need to create some kind of charger. The "charger" will be powered from dc source ( 1,5 AA battery ). The voltage should stay the same but the current should be regulated like this: - charge...
36
36

The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed; 60 Cent/Watt Solar PV Powered Blimps
High energy density super caps might not work with the insurance industry when it comes to ground transportation but distributed energy storage may make sense on blimps. Bret Cahill
3
3

Distributing the Battery All Over the Motor Vehicle
Or similar approaches like making the body or shell the battery would just increase exposure and not really reduce the risk of chain reaction explosions. Bret Cahill

High-frequency power sine wave generation
Guys: I'm working on an application where I need to drive a small transformer wit= h high frequency AC power (like around 20 kHz) at about 24 volts or so. My = power comes from a 120/24 transformer....
3
3

Op Amp Comparator hysteresis
I see circuits that add hysteresis to op-amp comparators by putting a positive feedback resistor network that acts as a voltage divider to the output. Am I right in thinking that this will only work...
15
15

Center Tapped and Regular Transformer
Hi, Could you please explain the following points regarding a center tapped transformer (some questions apply to a non-center tapped "regular" transformer as well): a. Is the center tapped transformer...
39
39

Digital stereo audio to 'old analog stereo'?
Is there an adapter one can purchase so one can use older stereo equipment with a new flat screen digital TV? My new TV only has 'digital audio out', a single plug that I imagine is a 3 conductor...
7
7

El-cheapo heat shrink tubing
The prices of heat shrink tubing vary quite a bit but there are real outliers. For example, Rapid sells two types of 4.8 mm x 1.2 m with similar characteristics (2:1, polyolefin, etc.). The Shrinktek...

Nano Spring Cap/Batteries/Explosives
Stretched carbon nano tubes store energy at the same ratio to weight as liquid fuel. Considering the mass of the air or O2 necessary for combustion of the liquid fuel it's more than 3X higher. Because...
9
9

Lead acetate batteries rechargeable?
Are such 12v batteries rechargeable? What type of small (alarm, motorcycle) batteries are rechargeable? What do I need to recharge them with? Is a gel battery preferable? What is gel? I need it for a...
18
18

Driving higher voltages with p-type MOSFET
Hi guys: I'd like to control a 24Vdc load by sourcing with a p-type power MOSFET. I'= m driving the gate directly from a mictrocontroller that uses +5 and ground= . The problem is that I need +24 and...
28
28

Non-Phool jellybean audio-frequency JFET
Trying to pick a JFET that's still being made with reasonable low noise characteristics for simple audio preamp type duties. No golden-ear BS, just things that can be measured. Mic preamps, instrument...
35
35

Replacement wall-wart help needed
This is a total "noob" question and I have done some searches but want to b= e sure before I go and purchase a replacement. I own something called a Bitscope which I use for tinkering with electronic=...
14
14