Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pilot light
I have taken some pilot lights out of a broken stove. These lamps indicated whether the element was on or the element was hot. I think they are what you call Neon lamps eg. Small glass bulb with thick...
9
9

The Triumph of Dedicated Solutions Over Double Duty; How Much Is Electronics Indirectly Influencing Mechanical Design?
cools the pistons and fills the hydraluic valve lifters I'm not certain that that's everything.
4
4

Cost of the Cheapest LoFi AM Transmitter ~ 20 - 30m Range
Everything on Ebay seems to be more than $3.
13
13

?This equipment was never designed to be recycled, which is why we have such problems?
Design the electronics to have a rip cord or self destruct button that automatically separates and sorts the items.

Failure mode of LEDs in overcurrent situation
I'm curious about what happens to an LED when it is exposed to a moderate overcurrent situation. This question came about as I was troubleshooting some small white LED lights I built using 3 5mm LEDs...
3
3

Crimping technique?
Is a crimping tool supposed to work on these things? All of my attempts so far have splayed three of the four squashable sections folded.) Using thin nosed pliers I can make a reasonable connection....
3
3

Roof co-ax amp supply question
Hi All, I want to test out an in-line aerial amp and have supplied it with 12V battery and circuit for testing as below glummed from the web and spares. I can build things but am no shakes on real...
2
2

Ads On the Circuit Board
OK, you take something apart 'cause it's broke and you already suspect it was _designed_ to break. Yer suspicions get confirmation and when you get inside. The circuit board has a message printed on...
1
1

Servo motor recommendation sought
For my plotter project I have experimented with a variety of different servo motors. Very cheap analog micro servos work very well (I have been using Tower Pro SG90s), as you can see from the images...
2
2

Misusing a transformer
Just a sanity check if you don't mind. I have a 230v to 30v 1amp 50Hz transformer - is there anything wrong with plugging that into 115v 60Hz to get 15v 1 amp out?
5
5

Diode test and identify
trying to fix AC/DC power plug. I have a Diode that says: GW327 SR560 I THINK this is a Schottkty Diode. Setting meter to Diode test, Im getting, 1.71 Forward and Reverse .171. Normally on diode I...
7
7

motor wiring / Keeps starting and stopping
I have motor that was removed from my furnace when a new furnace was installed. I know the motor is good as I replaced it few years. (2 Y Old). At the time, instead of replacing the motor with a...
4
4

Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way
Temperature might be one way of doing it. Any subsequent history of soldering would flag a problem. Board watching cameras might be the easiest cheapest way to preserve the integrity of a device.
7
7

It Wouldn't Take Much Affer Marketry Circuitry To Mitigate This Problem
No need to spend $5K on a Powerwall. Home owners wif grid ties should be able to flip a switch when the utility goes AWOL. Then they can refreeze the cheese & meat in the refrigerator and charge up...
1
1

wireless sensors
I bought a wireless inside/outside temperature/humidity display. I got to thinking about the outside sensor. I am almost sure the sensor does not transmit all the time because of only 2 AAA batteries....
5
5