Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Why the long leads?
Resistors, capacitors, LEDs, etc, when made for soldering into through hole curcuit boards, have really long leads. Why are they still made this way since the leads all get cut short? Is it just for...
17
17

Energy Density of Rechargeable Sodium Air Battery Is Close To Liquid Fuel
A gas tank equivalent battery starts out weighing 50 kg but after 350 miles it weighs 150 kg. Bret Cahill

Timing circuit help needed
Installed car seat warmers into SWMBO's car. Key must be on for them to fu nction. Would like to rewire in a way that I could preheat the seats prior to her use. 5 to 10 minutes would be sufficient....
3
3

Viewing circuits in mono-spaced-font
Circuits are posted here (much appreciated) suggesting the use of mono-spaced-font for viewing. I've tried cut/paste into OpenOffice and then using a mono-font. Doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to...
12
12

Load Leveling With Sea Sequestration
Carbon abatement schemes always seem too much like closing -- or rather not closing -- the barn door while forgetting about the horse. Something needs to be done about the immediate effects like sea...
4
4

LED lights when circuit broken
Hi, What is the simplest (cheapest, lowest energy) way to get an LED to light if the circuit from a 1.5v battery is broken? Thanks, Rod
14
14

How Do They Get So Much Money for Grid Ties?
Are there still some unexpired patents out there? Does a grid tie require a 200 lb copper coil? Bret Cahill
2
2

Battery parallel connection ?
Parallel connection on lantern batterys will have higher current, but it wi ll cause self dicharge to other battery with lower voltage. My solution to solve this problem was to add one diode to each...
2
2

RS232 cable followup
Thanks again to those who responded to my RS232 cable question. This morning I soldered on the DB connectors and did a test of the cable. There were no problems. I fact, though this is really...
4
4

QBasic syntax error?
Why does QBasic give me a syntax error with this code? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DATA 0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,2...
41
41

An RS232 cable question or two
Greetings RS232 Gurus, I have a couple machine tools that connect to a computer through RS232. I now need to run a longer cable for one of the machines. Looking online it seems like the biggest...
15
15

Can someone retrieve this IEEE paper for me?
Can someone retrieve this IEEE paper for me? Fiori, F.; Crovetti, P.S, "A new compact temperature-compensated CMOS current reference," Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, IEEE Transactions on...
14
14

Can solar panels be safely short-circuited?
Can solar panels be safely short-circuited while they are fully illuminated? I've looked at the specs and I understand the concept of MPP, conversion efficiency, etc. I have no particular design or...
13
13

The "Water Vapor Noise Eliminates the CO2 Signal" Denier Argument
How does a lot of noise eliminate the signal? In phase sensitive detection the initial input from the signal is much less than that of the noise. After integrating the signal over a few thousand...
8
8

Mag-Lite Batteries Fail?
I just opened my Mag-lite flash light and found probably acid that had spilled out of one or both batteries. The light was functioning modestly several days ago. How do I clean out the debris? Baking...
9
9