Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

PMT question
I recently got a PMT module ,a hamamatsu HC120-05 which has been modified. However,the lit does not show the wiring for the modified unit which lacks the green wire,which normally would be the minus...

Shorting a small capacitor with a switch
I know it's not a good idea to short-circuit a charged capacitor, especially a large electrolytic. What about smaller caps - like a low voltage ceramic disc of 0.1uF or less? And if the shorting...
7
7

Signal amplifier works
... unless there is no signal at the input. I started with some information at the following two URLS: The first URL goes through the process of building a high-gain amplifier, and it works O.K. with...
88
88

HP printer won't power up
The printer has a power plug that goes into the printer. There are three female sockets recessed in the plug. I would guess the center one is ground. pin 1 to 3 is 32v dc pin 2 to 3 is 30v dc pin 1 to...
4
4

Diode Lead Length
Hi, I would like to use the 1N5283 diode in a certain application. Like some other applications in power electronics, this diode datasheet too mentions a certain Lead Length to be maintained. (See...
9
9

Old Sony 250 tape recorder meets my TV
My tape recorder is probably 30-40 years old. It plays 4-track tapes. Twenty or so years ago, I had it tuned up. I recently stumbled onto it in a closet and realized that I have some old tapes that I...
5
5

A different kind of motion sensing security light?
Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but... The motion sensor (part) output constantly varies. Only when its output reaches a certain level relative to its normal state, then it trips a switch that...
49
49

Where Is the Laser Sinking the Heat?
If anything goes wrong with a non air breathing high energy density battery or any high energy density energy storage material it simply becomes an explosive and there hasn't been any clever way to...
5
5

Distribution Transformer
Distribution transformer aims to provide well tailored-solutions of all kind of voltage dilemma. We walk by holding the hands of latest technology and techniques to learn and implement them in our...
6
6

Q: Any Problems with chargers with too high or low a capacity
I'm very happy that more and more wall chargers are the 5 VDC micro or mini types but many people just grab the nearest one. My questions are what problems, if any, exist in using a charger that has a...
2
2

S/N Ratio dependent on impedance match?
Why is S/N ratio dependent on impedance match? It would seem a ferrite loopstick antenna would deliver twice the voltage if connected to a high impedance rather than matching it to it's characteristic...
11
11

Zigbee? RF control questions
Greetings All, I have two 4 axis CNC mills that I would like to add a 5th axis to. The machines are different makes with different controls so the 5th axis needs to be sort of independent. The...

4538 monostable input rise/fall restriction
Does the 4538 monostable have any restriction on the rise/fall time of the triggering pulse? None of the datasheets I have mentions any such restriction. The block logic diagram shows the trigger...
9
9

Have 5v regulator need 9 volts
Hi all, Tomorrow I'm working on a power supply to replace a 9v battery. All I have is a *5 volt regulator. I think can use a voltage divider on the output, then tie the normally grounded leg to the...
29
29

Simplex 2400 Not Off Topic
Hello all, My first question: Are there any good ole' Simplex Tech's floating around it here anywhere?? I have a few questions about a old Simplex 2400 Master Clock. Anyone?? TIA Les
13
13