Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pin extraction tool
I have a Kenwood portable radio charger KVC-5A for my fire department radio. We purchased some new Kenwood radios. The new radios require a KVC-20L vehicle charger. Kenwood moved one pin on the wire...
3
3

Linear amp emitter capacitors choice for 20Hz audio app
This is self assigned homework, so don't bother if this circuit is impract ical. I'm just following the basics. With reference to a common emitter degenerated linear amplifier with partia l bypassed...
5
5

OT: Source for this routed piece of wood
I'm looking for a source of this routed/shaped piece of wood... that I can stain and add to our new butler's pantry cabinets (above the wine refrigerator :-) But I'm striking out, can only find the...
3
3

Oscilloscope question
I have a TEK 465B 'scope. There are 8 divisions on the vertical axis of the graticule. When using a 10x probe does this mean that trhe 'scope can measure a 400 volt signal? What if the signal is 500...
7
7

Very interesting 'scoping results
At least interesting to me. On the advice from members of this newsgroup I bought a 465B TEK oscilloscope. It comes in handy now and then. Yesterday I had to replace a power supply in one of my CNC...
10
10

Why is there foam tape on my amps heat sink
I have a 10 year old AV receiver that I opened to de-dust. I noticed that on the heat sink there a black foam material running across the top length of the heat sink. The foam looks like double-sided...
7
7

First online complex Delta-Star or Delta-Y Transformation Calculator is ready
One of the most widespread 3 phase network topology transformation is now ready for use. Corresponding tutorial is: as well as the calculator

Input impedance of a BJT in CE config
I'm designing a very simple (dummy I'd say) linear amp with a biasing network like the one shown in this image: Ignore the values reported in the image. I'm interested in understanding the input...
16
16

Darlington pair is two stage current amplifier
Darlington pair is actually two stage current amplifier. Now, there is new tutorial: and new online simulation:
1
1

Evaluation of the square root of a complex matrix
6
6

remote control repair
My TV remote sees a lot of use and last winter the buttons had to be pressed very firmly to get them to work. As the weather turned cool this year, some functions were impossible to get working....
8
8

Need an Isolation Transformer?
I needed isolation from the line today, it reminded me of something I learned while building a Cockcroft-Walton high voltage generator. Use two transformers back to back. Example, you have two 120V to...
7
7

1N5819s? Or just a couple of 1N4001s?
I have been wanting to make use of a pair of 1N5819s to protect an RF amplifier I am building from static discharge, should someone touch the antenna, but haven't been able to obtain any of these just...
4
4

Low-voltage rail for transistor bases?
Hello. When power transistors are used as switches, the base current can be significant, as the saturation beta may be as low as 10. On the other hand, the base _voltage_ need only be at Vbe(sat), and...
5
5

Antenna Lightning Protection
I have a mast, rotor and yagi TV antenna on my roof. The antenna is probably 15' feet above the roof. It has 12 or so large elements, and a similar amount of smaller elements. There are three guy...
17
17