Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

results of AC buck tranny
I wired a 24VAC transformer to my Air Conditioner to lower the incoming line voltage to 220 from ~250 VAC. The old AC was pulling 2100+ watts worst-case and went to 1700, with the added transformer....
8
8

Virtual PID Controller Would Optimize Shutdowns In Pandemics, Reduce KornspiraSCHEE Theories
"Abbott didn't properly calculate lag time after lifting restrictions." It's easy to overshoot as well. The PID output would be presented to the public, so the public could better understand the...
10
10

how to reduce the mains voltage
I have an older window air conditioner that I'd like to hang on to for a few more years. The name plate says it is 220 VAC and since the power company went through and upgraded the distribution...
26
26

Solder these 2 wires while being able to slip the shrink tubing over the soldered connection
I would like to learn how to solder these 2 wires while being able to slip the shrink tubing over the soldered connection. Thanks.
4
4

Error of % + digits?
I just bought an amp clamp meter, and it states the error is "+/- 1.9% + 3 digits". What does the "3 digits" part mean?
125
125

Turn on Dynamic Range Compression
I am trying to turn on Dynamic Range Compression or D.COMP as Denon calls it. I got up to and finished step 5. But instead of going to step 6, it went to step 8, Default Y/N. Step 6 is where you can...
3
3

Subwoofer help
I would like to add a sub-woofer to my home theater system. My system calls for speakers in the 6 -> 16 ohm range. When I searched Ebay, I found some speakers, but found out that they need a...
5
5

Power in use indicator please ?
I have a water pump in a remote location. Sometimes the pump (120 volts) li ne springs a leak and then runs all the time with the potential of burning out pump. I want to build a little circuit that...
50
50

Diagnosing speakers
I have a 6 speaker home theater system. However the middle 2 speakers have no sound. I checked the voltages. 0 volts when a movie is playing versus .22 Vdc when movie is not playing. Does that help at...
16
16

Checking capacitors
Today I received one of the roughly $ 20 component testers. Checking it out and comparing capacitors I notices a big difference in a couple of them I was using a Fluke 87, a LCR meter from China, an...
8
8

Solar Charging Night Light not working
Hi all, I am trying to implement a very simple solar charged night garden light. Schematics is here: Basically a solar panel charges a battery. When the solar panel output is low (at night), a joule...
24
24

Flux density
Reviewing stuff I forgot during lockdown, this is one thing I never got. H is amp-turns/meter, and having distance in the denominator suggests that it is also a measure of flux density (but without...
8
8

Small generator over-voltage
If there's a better site/forum for this question, please let me know. I have an old (mid 80's) Sears Craftsman generator - 4 cycle B&S engine & 120v, 1350W rated output. (Jeff - model 580.328172) I...
15
15

Why does my server's redundant supply only have 12V?
It's an old Dell R410, with supplies DPS-500RB (12V only) and D480E-S0 (12/5/3.3V). If the second one died, the first one can't make the server still run, as there's no 5V or 3.3V!
25
25

Power supply current?
I wish to buy a power supply delivering up to 500V for experiments with thermionic valves. What would be a suitable current?
24
24