5 Pin Round Screw In Connector to USB

The 5 pin end is male male. The externally threaded dia is 7 mm.

The pins are radially symmetrical oriented with a couple of flat chord areas above 2 adjacent pins.

This probably isn't a aviation connector.

What is the name of this connector?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I'll call it "Bob" until I see a photo.

Jasen Betts

If it's male-male I'd call it Bob and Jim.

lunatic fringe electronics

Male is positive and female is negative on the terminals on 9v batteries.

Either change both 9v connectors to something less sexist or stop using +/- terminology altogether.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I matched up the font on the brand name as a lot of electronics companies have the same name. It's "code cable" from an EU supplier.

Why don't more EU companies sell on Ebay or Amazon?

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I have no idea what you just said, but I agree absolutely.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Having tantalized us with an obscure and incomplete verbal description and refusing to provide a picture or a drawing, it would be easier to take you seriously if you could, at least, point to a web site with a picture of what you were talking about.

Reply to
jfeng

Bret Cahill

Really? That's "M8"

  my M8 Bob!
Reply to
Jasen Betts

This looks pretty close:

How do you wire it up to USB?

Reply to
Bret Cahill

pin-1 to pin-1 etc... for a 5 pin USB.

someone else might do different, eg: the code cable might have an in-build UART or SPI bridge.

Jasen Betts

Sounds like an "IBM" connector, serial (not USB), mostly for mice.

Reply to
Wond

Somehow an old mouse or keyboard adapter was still laying around that should have been tossed back in the early big banglocene so I cut it open.

It had 5 wires:

brown yellow red green uninsulated.

The 13.3 mm dia. male connector had 5 pins. For orientation it's an octagonal configuration missing the 3 top pins.

From left counter clockwise the wire order was:

brown yellow red green nc

The 10 mm dia female connector on the other end had 6 holes hexagonal. For orientation the rectangle was below the top of the circle of round holes.

nc green nc Red yellow brown

Ignoring the nc pins, this is the same order for the 10 mm male.

Is there some kind of convention where they try to get the same order for all 4 or 5 wire round connectors?

The M8 male going to a device has, going counter clockwise from power to ground:

+5v power nc or data (+ or -) data (+ or -) 0v power nc or data (+ or -)

The first guess is that it's:

+5v power data (+ or -) data (+ or -) 0v power nc

If that doesn't work (or fry everything) try swapping the assumed data lines.

If that doesn't work (or fry everything) try:

+5v power data (+ or -) nc 0v power data (+ or -)

If that doesn't work (or fry everything) try swapping the 2nd assumed data lines.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Pins are nummered 6,4,2,1,3,5 clockwise in the male 10 mm PS/2 connector:

The same pins were connected to wires as in my adapter.

Reply to
Bret Cahill