Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Function Generator Sinewave distortion?
I have an old function generator that has 6 pots to adjust the shape of the sinewave for minimal distortion I don't have a distortion analyser so I was thinking of using a DIY sinewave oscillator...
16
16

[JOB POSTING] Sought: FPGA PCB Design for Europe Electronics Company
We are searching for a freelance PCB designer that is familiar with FPGA, D DR3, LVDS, SMPS, Analog-to-Digital converters, USB, PCIe, Gigabit Transceiv ers, etc, board layout and schematic design. Has...

phase
I am trying to understand how connecting a resistor or capacitor to a ground can change the phase of an electric circuit - I guess connecting a resistor or capacitor to a ground can act like a filter...
11
11

OT: Interesting headline
Not one MSM network covered Netanyahu's speech to Congress. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San...
8
8

Series to parallel conversion
I want to spoil the Q of an LC circuit with a parallel resistor. I don't know what information is required. Can a I just say I want the equivalent of a series 30 ohm resistor in parallel to the...
12
12

Op-amp differential amplifier
Op-amp differential amplifier has much wider range of input signals comparing to differential amplifier with discrete components. Read more: and also simulate:

OT: Are you now or have you ever been a climate skeptic?
Are you now or have you ever been a climate skeptic?... ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan...
8
8

Funny little circuit
I'm probably on my fifth or sixth reread of the AoE FET chapter. At the end of the chapter, there is "Bad Circuit Ideas" section which I love because it gets you to think! Now on page 173 figure 3.78D...
3
3

Power JFET (or why you need to update your AoE)
On my almost fifth reading of the AoE JFET chapter. 2nd Ed, p.138 -> "there aren't any power JFETs" A simple google search reveals that they do exist!

Are MOSFETS best for this?
Greetings All, I have a small Lincoln wirefeed welder. Depending on the wire and the process the welding wire will be either + or - polarity. To switch polarity two thumb nuts must be removed and...
4
4

DSC 1832 - zones
Hi. I hope that someone is working with dsc alarm system. I'm using paradox but i have used dsc before few years. I installed 8 sensors on 1832 panel and i set section 202. First zone is delay and...

classic semiconductors
What are the "Classic Semiconductors" out there? I stumbled across the MC34063 as a "classic" switching regulator (considered somewhat obsolete today because of the low, 100 kHz switching frequency)....
22
22

Using a 12V 2A power supply direct and with 3V voltage divider?
I have forgotten everything I learned in the single electrical science class I took in college 25 years ago. Please forgive my ignorance. I have a single 12V 2A power supply. I want to simultaneously...
50
50

Of battery terminals & grease
There are some members of electronic forums that suggest coating automotive battery posts with grease ("any king--axle, lithium, copper") before attaching cable-end clamps to the posts and swear that...
6
6

High voltage capacitor question
Hey All, I have an old Miller Gold Star welder that may have failing high voltage caps in the high frequency circuit. I think I can still buy these caps from Miller but they are expensive and if the...
9
9