32X8 SRAM Replacement

I need to replace a SRAM chip on a piece if test equipment it is a HM62256ALP-8. A 28 pin DIP. It is a 32X8 Hi-Speed SRAM. Can I replace this with any 28 pin SRAM chip or do I need to find an exact replacement or an exact cross reference. Is this like DDR memory in a computer where you can buy what ever is selling at CompUSA? I think I have some chips that are the right speed but trying to find info on if they would work doesn't seem to be that easy. So I thought I would ask you guys.

Thanks so much Russ

Reply to
Uriah

No, not usually.

Yes, pretty much. The 62256 is a bog standard device with countless working sustitutes. Was common in computer cache memory many years ago, which were a good (free) source for these chips after computers were scrapped. At the peek of the market for these devices there was even a scam that substituted fake cache SRAM chips and doctoring the BIOS to show they were working when in fact they were empty chips.

Just match or better the speed and you should be fine.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

ng

ee)

All the above is true, BUT there are package differences, while "DDR" is in a known socketable type of package. DIP with .300" width, and .with .

600" width, and in various surface mount types, are all available. The old '386 motherboards used mainly .300" DIP packages.
Reply to
whit3rd