2pole Rotary Switch and Diodes HELP

Original Question Can anyone recommend a rotary switch, transistors, Ic's, or any component that may work for following situation? I have a circuit 4.5 vdc and three momentary switches in series (two mercury and one reed). What I would like to do is to be able to have the ability to allow any one switch work alone, any combination to allow 2 to work in series, and all three to work in series as they are now? II have limited space and would like to use the lowest profile component(s) possible. I have minimal experience with the different type of components, but have time and a willingness to learn.

This was a reply that I received in regards to my original question avove. The problem is I;m not quite sure how to set the circuit up. Can anyone show it on a schematic? Is there a easyer or better way? If so, can you put it into a schematic? Thank you for your time

Reply Use a 2 pole rotary switch to give you the combinations, and use diodes for the selection of any 2 switches or any one.. or all in series. basically, just tie them all in series.. and use diodes to select the pairs. THe diode will prevent back feed to other combinations. The circuit will have to be DC.

Reply to
DaveK

[...]

Momentary switches are just that, doing the work as long as you provide the "momentary" activation. So what you want to accomplish you need instructions from flute playing teacher who will teach you how to place your fingers on them.;^) For any other solutions you need memory to keep information that a switch is now active and is part of the cirquit. ( The toggle's solution looks like right idea). You have conflictic requirements, any single switch can do the work of all of them so why this redundancy? Define better the logic of what you need, will be easier to solve.

HTH

Stanislaw

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Put a toggle switch in parallel with each momentary switch. To disable the action of any one momentary switch, close its paired toggle switch.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Stanislaw,

The entire original question. Can anyone recommend a rotary switch, transistors, Ic's, or any component that may work for the following situation? I have three momentary switches in series (two mercury and one reed). What I would like to do is to be able to have the ability to allow anyone switch work alone, any combination to allow 2 to work in series,and all three to work in series as they are now? II have limited space and would like to use the lowest profile component(s) possible. I have minimal experience with the different type of components, but have time and a willingness to learn.

I will give you the benefit of doubt. You probably didn't get the entire original question that I asked. If you did I'm sure you would have answered it differently. Either way answering a question in this way;

"So what you want to accomplish you need instructions from flute playing teacher who will teach you how to place your fingers on them.;^) For any other solutions you need memory to keep information that a switch is now active and is part of the cirquit."

Would surely deter any new beginners in the world of electronics, that has so much to offer. Hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

Dave K

Reply to
DaveK

--
If you\'d explain what your application is and what you mean by the
terms you used, as I asked you to in my last post, we\'d all be in a

In my mind I have a picture of something that decides in advance which of the possible combinations will perform the activation of the load. a) any single switch (which one?) b) two in series a&b; a&c; b&c (chosen in advance) c) all three at once. So you need a selector to configure/chose the working team from all those possibilities. I simple cannot imagine a circuit that will display those changing variations without external intervention. In electronics everything is possible, miracles take a little longer, so even to beginner we advise to define the performance of the finished product and "I want" is not a factor in this.

Have fun

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Stanislaw,

A mi didn't take to long for this gentelmen to come up with the correct answer, on his first try, with no further explanation. He was able to answer it from my original post even though the words "I want" were in my post.

Below is the answer I was looking for:

Here's how I would do it, provided my diagram below accurately captures what you want:

  • ---Sw1---Sw2---Sw3---Load--- Gnd "All Three"

  • ---Sw1---Sw2---------Load--- Gnd "Any Two" + ---Sw1---------Sw3---Load--- Gnd "Any Two" + ---------Sw2---Sw3---Load--- Gnd "Any Two"

  • ---Sw1---------------Load--- Gnd "Any One" + ---------Sw2---------Load--- Gnd "Any One" + ---------------Sw3---Load--- Gnd "Any One"

Assuming the seven possibilities above are what you want, you could wire it this way, with a toggle switch in parallel with each momentary switch:

/ / / +--o o--+ +--o o--+ +--o o--+ | Tsw1 | | Tsw2 | | Tsw3 | | | | | | | + ---+---Sw1--+---+---Sw2--+---+---Sw3--+---Load--- Gnd

That way, any momentary switch can be removed from affecting circuit function and replaced by a connection to the next.

3 minature toggle switches will take up a lot less space than 2 rotary switches.

By the way, the diagrams are shown using DC, but it will work fine with AC or DC.

Ed

Reply to
DaveK

I'm sorry I did not get back to you when you first replied to my post. My post was answered shortly after. I should have let you know. I do value your replies and belive you have answered my posts in the past. Bellow is the answer I was looking for.

[...]

The moment you mention 'toggle' you incorporate mechanical memory into the circuit and it needs to be set in advance. In your description of "I want" somehow this part was _very_ weak.

Good luck

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto