Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How To House Train A Puppy
Do you deny that it's possible for an invention to have some uses but not others? Every time you dodge the question I'll roll up the newspaper and pop you again. It's just like house training a puppy....
2
2

Capacitor voltage values
Let's say I need a cap that's 100uF, 10V. Is there any issue with using a Cap with a bigger voltage rating? I would think no, it's just the maximum voltage that cap can tolerate (and possibly a tad...
3
3

One time PCB needed
Hi, I am new to tis group but I have built a lot of kits over the years so I am not all that new to soldering. I have a small project with a 555 and about 10 other parts. It is a very basic 5v, 5KHz...
8
8

Can anybody find my error? (wireless RF modeling)
Hello, I'm simulating a network of multiple wireless nodes that can transmit to one another using finite battery resources. I'm getting some really strange results in my testing of some power...
1
1

What is the relationship between channel gain and path loss?
Hello, I'm trying to model the channel gains between my nodes in a wireless network. I'm able to compute the path loss between any two nodes, but the question I have is, what is the relationship...

Tube Headphone Amp Schematic Needed
I want to build a headphone amp to connect to my laptop's audio output, and thought a tube based one would be a nice change from all the IC driven ones I've built in the past. I would prefer a simple...
22
22

A Compromised Reasoning Ability
Again, do you think an invention is only worthwhile if it's the only thing everyone will ever need? Your basic reasoning ability is screwed up so any "calculations" are a complete farce. Bret Cahill...
8
8

Optimizing Interdisciplinarity
Maybe it would be better to say the more stunning the breakthrough the more dissimilar the fields. It's kind of like splicing fruit or cross breeding species. There comes a point when it ain't gonna...
11
11

Justifying Yer Existence
If you or, for that matter, anyone else wants a pat on the head you'll need to move to another . . . well . . . another universe. Recently some entertainment industry type was on NPR with a voice...
21
21

Duplicating MIT's artificial photosynthesis breakthrough
Could this be duplicated by anyone with basic electronics knowledge and the right metals? From the article: The new catalyst works at room temperature, in neutral pH water, and it's easy to set up,...
38
38

S-R latch
Hi , the following is the implementation of S-R latch which i saw in a book, and the following is the truth table based on it now in the book it is written that when both s & R are made high...
2
2

LEI-4 transformer
Hi - I yanked some parts from an old APC unit - a 350 (I think). A chunky transformer has markings of LEI-4, 430-2020 and also 155D. Think this think is worth keeping? Thing weighs about 3 lbs. I did...

How to add 12v lamps to circuit?
I have this circuit, the standard Velleman mk103 sound to light kit. I would like to control 2 20w 12v lamps. I've got some TIP142 transistors that should be OK to do the switching, I just don't know...
3
3

Power supply to run camera and 555 timer
I'm looking for ideas for building a power supply (out of batteries) bank that will run a 555 timer circuit and a Kodak Digital camera. The camera takes a 3vdc supply. I have a number of 555 timers...
1
1

Continuous Operation From Grid-Battery Tractors
Diesel power is now almost 4X the cost of the grid. Battery cost is 2X - 3X grid cost and the combination is just now about equal to or in some areas already below the cost of diesel. Unlike electric...
21
21