18 Stage LED counter with variable stages?

Hello,

I'd like to build Bill Bowdens 18 stage LED sequencer

but with a variable number of stages. As far as I understand the circuit, i'd suggest this could be acheived in the following way:

Adding switches to all outputs, connecting all outputs apart from the first one of the right 4017 to its reset input so it returns to the beginning of the sequence if I choose less stages than 9. And all outputs of the left one apart from the first one to the AND gate so the sequence starts again at the right 4017.

Also I guess, I would have to connect pin 3 of the right 4017 to reset on the left one to always have the sequence continuing at the right point again.

Do you think this would work?

Thanks for any help on this one, der Warst

Reply to
derwarst

Oh, I've made a crude addition to the original schematic to illustrate what I'm talking about:

derwarst

err... I looked at the schematic again... just forget it my question.

Reply to
der Warst