Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Reference direction of electrical current in teaching/books
Hello, Recently I ran into a book that teaches that current flows from the negative to the positive terminal (i.e. across a resistor). This implies electron flow and is opposed to all examples I've...
55
55

Altera EPLD problem
Hi, I have a problem with bringing out the INIT_DONE puls out of an Altera Flex 10k EPLD. I use Quartus II software on a PC. I also use the EPC2 configuration device. I enabled this bit in the design...
1
1

flipping of earth's poles
Supposedly, the earth's magnetic poles have reversed several times. A permanent magnet implies a DC current. That means charges, with mass, orbiting. A pole reversal implies a current reversal, does...
171
171

Stereo-to-momo summing Y adapter?
Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf Y adapter that's got the summing resistors embedded? My DTV box has stereo out, and my TV has mono in. I could build one - bike up to Rat Shack and see if they...
15
15

radio reception oddity
I have an armband digital FM radio, for running. The earphone cord is the antenna. Reception is very sensitive to antenna orientation, unsurprisingly. (a problem as I circle a track) It's not the...
10
10

Charging nicad batt pack with variable voltage current limited bench power supply
I was out hanging drywall in my garage when my Black and Decker Firestorm 14.4v charger or drill failed. From what I've read, the chargers are a bit flaky but then maybe the drill died. I had a brain...
9
9

Is this what they called it a Hybrid Capacitor?
6 capacitors 60 farad @ 2.7V EACH in serie, then they parallel with a 0.5 farad 16V. I don't see how you can get 60 farad out of this circuit. The maximum you can get from this circuit is 10.5 Farad....
6
6

Trigger
Can I use a voltage divider on a 230 volt 60 Hz supply followed by a diode to trigger a 555 when applied to the #2 pin? The 555 will work like a Schmitt trigger to provide short square pulses at 60...
16
16

What's the best way to terminate very fine stranded wire
I'm using a 9 pin D-sub connector with attached cable. The conductors are stranded 30 guage (7/38). What's the best way to terminate these conductors? - crimp (I don't have connectors sized that...
15
15

Transformer
Some years ago I recall, or at least I think that I do, seeing an advertisement for a small cylindrical transformer. Do such things exist and if so what are they used for? RD
5
5

panasonic dvd player
can any electronic tech tell me what panasonic dvd player mod RV-32 fault code HO 7 represents
1
1

Hfe question
Hello, I was hoping for somebody to explain how to read the hfe column on the specification sheet if you look at digikey web site for the chip TIP41C, you will see the column: DC Current Gain (hFE)...
10
10

Computer Fan
The case fan in my computer was running slow. The computer is running hot. The original fan has three wires, I replaced it with a two wire fan and all is well. However I wonder what the third wire is...
11
11

SolderSmoke -- The Book!
SolderSmoke -- A Global Adventure in Radio Electronics From Crystal Radios to Podcast MP3s With Occasional Forays into Astronomy, Kite Aerial Photography, and Model Rocketry SolderSmoke is the story...

schottky diode question
Hey all; I'm planning on using a MAX4622 CMOS switch in a circuit I'm building. On p.7 of the data sheet ( it says: "If power-supply sequencing is not possible, add two small signal diodes in series...
10
10