Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Transistor question -theory
Hi, I have been analyzing the 'how to' of a transistor recently. Electron flow, holes, dope material etc... I still do not understand why a transistor can be reversed, anyway reverse based from all...
9
9

What for the "D" in a PID control loop?
I=92ve built several PID control loops, mostly for temperature control, but sometimes for other things. I=92ve always used the all three PID parameters. I use to think that the D term was there to...
13
13

18650 li-ion
Could some one explain the protection mechanism on some 18650 li-ion batteries and why they do not work with some xenon or led torches?
1
1

Load Capacitance
Hello Everyone, I have a couple of surplus crystals, 10.7 MHz. Is there a way to find out the Load Capacitance for them ? The people I bought them from don't know. What I am doing is a "Can I make...
5
5

Stepper motor controller current limiting question
Hello, all. I'm trying to build my first stepper motor controller and I have two questions. In trying to learn about stepper motors and controllers I read the document AN907 from Microchip among other...
9
9

why no corona discharge from power lines?
Something i've never puzzled out.. If I make a 14kv generator (and I have made a few high voltage generators in my time), I get constant corona from its unattached output. Why do the 14kv power lines...
4
4

Asking about Amplitude Shift Keying
Hello group, I posted a screen capture of an image showing a basic Amplitude Shift Key modulation: The image shows the a diagram and equation. The equation is ASK(t) = s(t)*sin(2*pi*f*t). I assume...
12
12

Why Jefferson Is Critical for Engineers
Design should serve the needs man. Without Jefferson, you aren't serving the needs of man. You are serving nonsense or even worse, despotism. Bret Cahill "I have sworn on the alter of God . . ." --...
20
20

Voltage rating of keyboard cable?
A question: Have one of those older style keyboard cables in hand; this one is NOS (i.e. brand new, old stock). It has a 5 pin (large) DIN plug at one end. Anybody got any idea of the maximum...
4
4

45-degree diagonal cutters?
I used to own a pair of flush cutters where the jaws and the handles met at about a 45-degree angle. Made for a nice tool for getting in between components when you needed to nip something off flush...
133
133

vandergraph generator
My son and I have made one of those vander graph generator's There is a belt that carries a positive charge up to a metal ball. I want to increase the charge so I was wondering if i got myself one of...
10
10

Why No Live Rewind Devices for Radio
We have DirecTV and the control device (sort of like a DVR) allows us to watch TV, and then back up during a live broadcast. Why isn't there anything like that for radio. If I listen for a few minutes...
5
5

electronic box
Hello When I make my electronic stuff I often have a problem to get a box to put it in : They are expensive an often inapropriate. So I prefer to use a video tape box/cover (I don't now the exact...
3
3

Snubber for triac light switch?
If I use a triac as a simple on-off switch to control a lamp at mains voltage, do I need a snubber across the triac? Say the lamp is 10 meters away from the triac, mains-rated LED or 100W incandescent...
4
4

Inventing Is No Longer Optional
Yes, after enough out-venting, in-venting becomes necessary. Here is an invention that addresses outventing: BTW, here's mine: I have designed better and more innovative devices since then. But it...
2
2