Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

AC and meter movements
How does one use AC to actuate a D'Arsonval (Weston) meter movement? Is a single rectifier sufficient? Bridge? Movement of interest says "FS = 45.8 uA DC". Extra points for links to drive circuits....
27
27

'scope probes and 100MHz EMI
The other day I hooked up a LT1016 comparator (live bug prototype on a 6=94 X 8=94 piece of copper clad) to trigger on pulses from a PMT. Pulses are ~ 300ns long and ~100mV high. I sent a low level...
13
13

Simple oscillator circuit
I want a simple oscillator circuit that will give 30 kilohertz. Which of these components do I change to achieve this? What values should these be? If I want a little variance (~10 percent) it should...
22
22

Bitscope
Hi, I plan to buy (in timeframe 1-2 months) the bitscope. . I am very interested to hear comments from it's users and others. How is the Linux-side working? Best Regards Kari
3
3

Capacitor drift
--Silly question time: do capacitors tend to drift in the same direction? And if so, which way? Just got stereo out of the shop and the repair guy said the problem was with the caps.. -- "Steamboat...
17
17

Bode Plotter
Hi, again thank you for the previous help. I will start building the simple PSU next week. This question is little on the edge whether it belongs here. But Scope are used in electronics, so there I...
3
3

A Better Quality AM FM Receiver
Hi Group, The apartment I live in has thick concrete walls, floor, and ceiling. Over the years I've tried several different receivers but all to no avail. I'd like to buy a better quality AM FM...
10
10

[UK] Television detector
I haven't heard much about television detector vans lately but we used to be told that they could detect a television even if it was switched off and they could even tell which room it was in. How do...
18
18

Power Supplies
Hi, I am trying to find schematics for PSUs. I found one, probably good one, but it was very complicated and used an IC, which I probably won't get anywhere. So any good links welcome. I understand...
9
9

Galvanic disconnection with transformer
Hi, first. Thank you for all the help I have gotten from here so far. Now I am trying to figure out how to connect the electricity to my scopes and the Power supply I am building. I don't know the...
17
17

Analog neagtive delay generator - please help
Could some analog guru please help ? Digital circuits can use a delay locked loop to generate a negative delay - is there any corresponding analog circuit to achieve the same result ? Any hints,...
13
13

CF Lightbulb Dimmer
Just start subtracting cycles. Below 25% - 40% power it'll start to flicker. Bret Cahill
17
17

AC capacitor question
Hi, I believe it is possible but I would just like a confirmation. I would like to know if I can use an AC capacitor and make it behave like a DC cap, I would like to do a rail gun. Are DC capacitor...
14
14

12v DC Unipolar to 16v DC Bipolar
Hello, my component level electronics is poor at best so please help me. I need to take 7v to 18v (ish) Bipolar DC, step it up to 16v DC Unipolar. I've got my power input sorted with a decent voltage...
2
2

pulse counter
I want to count TTL pulses from a PMT. (There is already some pulse shaping and discriminator electronics between the PMT and output.) The TTL pulses have a fixed width of 300ns and a rate from 10 Hz...
21
21