12V 4amp pwr supply

Good day I have on of those Colman coolers the pwr supply is not working. The pwr supply is rated at 12 volts 4 amp. I tried to use a pwr supply from an old laptop that was rated at 12 volts and 4.5 amps but it got very hot in about 45 mins Whats the difference ? Rick

Reply to
trickyrick

"trickyrick" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@l31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

Suppose the power supply is getting hot. Looks like it is overloaded which may be caused by a defective cooler. The original supply can be fried be the same cause.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I'm assuming the cooler draws a constant current, though that may be a false assumption.

The laptop supply has to be big enough to supply current when the hard drive in the laptop starts up, and there are likely other things that demand higher current for shorter periods. In other words, I suspect the laptop power supply isn't designed to supply full current on a constant basis, so when you hooked it up to the cooler, you're demanding too much from it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

ect

Thanks Michael That makes sence I know there is nothing wrong with the cooler My Dad has the same one and I have being using his pwr supply for a few weeks. So I would think that If I purchase a laptop pwr supply thats

5 amps that should do it. I ask because the laptop pwr supplys are alot cheaper then the ones for the colman cooler
Reply to
trickyrick