120 Volts Micro Switch

Im an amateur/novice at electronics. Mostly I'm interested in electronics to fix things and make life a little easier around the house.

My problem is that I have a light that is on a switch outside the house. I want to turn it on and off from inside the house. It's in an awkward place and makes it hard and unsightly to run 120v Wires and switch box etc. into the house. I would like to build an electronic switch that would only require me to run a small wire to an electronic switch from the light into the house. Can anyone point me to a schematic for this type of thing that I can build. I want the switch to provide its own power to the low voltage switch in the house. I don't want to be fussing with some sort of AC/DC adapter to provide the switch power.

Can anyone help me out.

Thanks.

Reply to
news

You could do this with an RF (wireless switch) and not require any installed wiring. These are available in Canada for turning on car engine heater in the winter without going outdoors.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes

Interesting idea. Yes I know that I will have to still use some wire. It will just be so much easier with smaller gage. I can run it into the house put it along baseboards etc. I would still like to use a small electronic switch with low voltage wire. Can anyone point me to where I can find this kind of thing.

Thanks.

Reply to
news

You can use X10 devices for this. Google X10. There are lots of dealers. X10 sends a signal over the house wiring. So, you would mount a reciever inside the lamp housing and the transmitter in a convenient switch box inside the house. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I did this once using an old rotary type dimmer. Bridged the wiper to the high side of the pot with a CDS cell. Pointed that cell at a LED that I mounted in the front housing of the dimmer then turning on that LED turned on the dimmer. Adjust the pot to achieve the proper threshold. It's not wireless but you could use any LED and a wall wart it would be transformer isolated, opto isolated and low voltage.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That can be easily handled by a pair of X-10 devices: a lamp module for that light (screw-in or wall switch replacement) and a mini-controller, which you install in a convenient place. Once you try it, you'll want all your house on X-10 switches ;-). Very easy to install, everything is pretty much plug-and-play. Do eBay search for X10 (X 10, X-10, you got the idea), you'll normally find dozens of sweet deals there.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

sci.electronics.basics - 5366 messages and counting!

Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com