12 volts to 48 volts for an electric bicycle

Yup. Thanks for the reminder!

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yup.

I was thinking ampere-hours when I should have been thinking
watt-hours.

Thanks. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

Sure, but the OP proposed replacing four (4) 12V/8AH batteries with one (1) 12V/85AH George H.

Reply to
George Herold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained :

Get a bike trailer and buy 4 12v Deep Discharge batteries and strap 'em on. Go like the wind, but with it.

--
Present and unaccounted for.
Reply to

Yes, that's a good solution too. =)

Reply to
mrdarrett

(The guy who sold it to me said they can take 72 volts, but I'm still trying to confirm that from their website, which is a bit skimpy. Looks like I'll have to email them.)

about 3 miles, but left me to pedal the remaining 9 miles home from work.

returning them and buying a (heavy!) 12V, 85 A-h deep cycle battery from Costco (only $68). If I go that route, I'll need a DC-DC converter, converting 12V to

48V.

how are you charging these batteries, and are they balanced correctly?

when they're dead from use with your bike, check the voltages across each battery, if they're not close, something is wrong with one or more of them, of they're just too chinese to even string up and get a nice 48 volt string with. One off battery or even just one cell in one battery will go into voltage reversal if it drains before the others, and that will really kill performance as a whole as well as that battery.

I use a gas engine on my bicycle and know from use starting and stopping aka "city use" is the real killer with gas use. If I never stopped, way over 200miles per gallon, if not more would be easy.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the four were new (two from Home Depot, two from Fry's). I returned them all though (well, except for one from Fry's, which fell out and had scuff marks on it).

12V battery maintainer from Wal-Mart. Schumacher brand, I think.

Oh ok. I'll measure the voltage when I take the batts for a spin next week!

Ooh, a 30cc 2-stroke? How many mpg do you get with city driving?

Is it tolerably loud?

Reply to
mrdarrett

I returned them all though (well, except for one from Fry's, which fell out and had scuff marks on it).

They're probablhy all from the same grade school in china, but you never know.

Maybe it just a weak battery.

It's really not bad, it just sort of buzzes, and I sit in front of it, so sounds really doesn't matter. It has a 25 or 30cc 2 stroke Redmax engine. The thing starts no matter what, and has only needed the fuel tank gasket replaced as the ethanol crap in gas eats that stuff up.

As for powered bikes, the real killer on gas or electric is pulling out of a stop. Mine can't since it has a leafblower clutch, so I have to pedal to get going. If you're lazy with that, the milage drops like crazy per tank of gas. Once you're moving, the thing might as well be idling, unless you're going up hill.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader