Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Extend length of DC motor wires?
An 18 V cordless drill motor. Can the wire be extended to about 3 feet from the battery to the controller and from the controller back to the motor without degrading motor performance? Would larger...
14
14

Human body capacitance
I was playing around with a piece of wire stuck into my 'scope input. Looking at all the electrostatic interference around my lab bench. With the fluorescent lights turned off. I could grab onto the...
13
13

New Spice simulation community
Hi, we are creating a community of electronic design and simulation for users of different types of SPICE, PSpice, LTspice, Altium Designer,B2 Spice, ICAP/4, TINA, Proteus, Ni- Multisim, Micro-Cap and...

Repairing a Xantrex 600HD Powerpack--The Tricky Handle
My battery is pretty well shot, but when I contacted Xantrex tech last week, the tech said it could be taken apart. It's all in a nice orange enclosure with a handle, light, radio, and so on. He said...

Test coaxial cable
Is there a way to test an in place coaxial cable ? It provides cable service to 3 different points and some of the channels at one point are fuzzy. thanks.
7
7

SMT 4017 and 555
Hi, I am here putting together SMT Kit for practice. Instructions which came with the kit are horrible. I have basically two problems. 1. On the 4017 and 555 there is no notch or dot to figure out the...
9
9

Filtering In Frequency Domain v Time Domain
A low pass time domain filter has a roll off. A low pass Fourier transform frequency filter can eliminate all the frequencies above a cutoff frequency 100% without attenuating any of the lower...
54
54

Transducer Directly Outputs Something Halfway Between Displacement & Velocity
This particular output is already possible -- the units would be meter/ second^1/2 -- simply by taking the -1/2 order derivative of a speedometer or by taking the +1/2 order derivative of the output...
18
18

Purchasing a Honda 2200 watt generator -- low prices?
My neighbor is interested Subject generator. Here in our small town (N. Calif.), 10 K pop., the local Honda store wants $1100. Any suggestions as to where to get one for a lower price, or even another...
2
2

Converting 230V / 30A DC
Im using constant DC input od 230V / 30A and i need to convert this into 220V AC ( 50 hz ). What is the simplest way to do this ? Regards !
6
6

RF interference related question
Could some RF guru please clarify the following points ? Keeping in mind the ideas of co-channel interference, cross-channel interference and FCC's recent white space broadcast spectrum release, 1....
12
12

In need of a generator for storm outages--Suggestions?
I live in the foothills of the Sierra mountains, and in the winter months we generally have one storm that knocks out power. The amount of time varies from a few hours to 3-5 days in the 12 years...
48
48

Exploding Transformers
Never heard of this problem before but 3 transformers that I know of have gone off in the past 2 years. I saw one from my desk, another severely burned 4 palm trees and last week I thought the local...
4
4

Xantrex 600HD Battery Losing Charge?
I've had Subject battery for about 6 years and it doesn't really get used as much as years ago, but even that was not really much. I sometimes powered my laptop with it, or started a vehicle. It's...
10
10

Frequency Domain Ramp
Taking a time derivative after an FFT would be easy on SPICE if you had some curve that would FFT into a ramp: Just multiply the function by the ramp. The inverse transform of a ramp on Excel is...
35
35