Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Current carrying capacity of wire by gauge size
Having a hard time finding something that isn't rocket science. I thought that since it takes shielded wires to get the current necessary to run electronic items, it would loosely be related. :-) I...
10
10

Power Transformer
I plan on selling a 9 lb. Yamaha transformer on Ebay. The box I have is rated at 29 lbs per inch for the edge crush test. Do I need to send it in a wood enclosure? If that thing is dropped, it could...
4
4

Designing Plastic Containers & Waste Separation Equipment Around Each Other
They keep hyping plastic recycling issues like it's politically correct. obal-crisis If minor low cost changes are made to plastic containers beforehand it may be easier than they think to make...
8
8

Breakout leads for UK phone plugs & sockets?
My workshop stuff includes many unused phone cables, discarded when their respective phones were replaced over the years. I'd like to use these for general wiring around the...
3
3

Pretty useless soldering iron
I bought this thing. It has setting to adjust but it does NOT maintain anything like a set temperature. I left it on one night at the 300 setting. When I woke up the next day and say that it was on, I...
13
13

TV remote has random actions when pushing buttons
My TV remote for a Westinghouse lcd tv is acting strangely. The power button generally works. The channel button will go on channel at a time or go thru all the channels. Sometimes hitting one button...
9
9

Unknown MOSFET logo
Hi, all, I'm trying to identify this part, which is probably an N-FET: Octopart, LCSC, and the usual datasheet sites come up dry. Anyone recognize the logo and/or part number? Thanks Phil Hobbs -- Dr...
6
6

Charging NiMh batteries when not completely discharged
The aaa alkaline batteries went out on my tv remote. I decided to use my NiMh UBL aaa batteries. 1100 mAh. They are currently showing 1.31 volts. And they work ok in the remote as is. My charger is...
18
18

Feedback on soldering effort and circuit analysis
I could use some feedback. I think I soldered on the right side this time. The circuit was working and I made adjustments to a pot. The pot ranged from 0 -> about 4400 ohms. I got the circuit already...
7
7

Fresnel lens?
I am trying to maximize the amount of light that a red laser produces when it hits a cadmium photo cell. I went from a photocell with a small area to one with about double the area. I salvaged this...
7
7

5 Pin Round Screw In Connector to USB
The 5 pin end is male male. The externally threaded dia is 7 mm. The pins are radially symmetrical oriented with a couple of flat chord areas above 2 adjacent pins. This probably isn't a aviation...
13
13

Hookup wire
Is 26 gauge hookup wire ok for my circuit board ? I am using PCB boards. I think the holes are the standard width apart.
19
19

Dark powdery particles from soldering iron
When I changed my tip on my Chinese copy of a Hakko wannabe, I saw a small amount of black powdery residue that came out. I have used the soldering around 50 times. Is that part of a carbon rod?...
11
11

Basic electronics
I started reading Understanding Basic Electronics by Larry Wolfgang. He explains well and keeps it interesting. Good chapter on algebra to help with things like Ohms law. The American Radio Relay...
5
5

Arduino code sources?
I bought my first Arduino UNO R3 kit two weeks ago (the Elegoo Super Starter kit) and am stepping through its tutorials. In parallel I'm trying to learn the basics of its C++ based programming...
20
20