You'd think someone would make...

When I travel I carry one of those Buttoneer gadgets that "staples" a button back on using tiny plastic straps.

You'd think someone would make a similar device for fixing a pant's cuff that comes unstitched :-)

Is there such a thing? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I've been known to use an actual stapler.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Back in the sixties, they were called 'bobby pins'.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Me too :-) Staple show... you'd think some clever soul would do it with thread... it's embarrassing when you notice secretaries looking oddly at your pant's cuff :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

A bit of cardboard about the size of a matchbook with a needle stuck in it and some thread wrapped around. Or buy a sewing kit at the dollar store.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

What's a pants cuff? Is that like a spat?

John

in

I carry one of those Buttoneer gadgets that "staples" a

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

e.

Ha! Good luck. Thompson would need an illustrated manual just to thread the needle. Hot glue would be a better choice - it really sticks to polyester.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Il sprech the San Fransicko hick ;-)

Not even a cuff... the _hem_.

Though cuffs are easier to fix than a straight hem... the cuff structure will hide a staple quite nicely :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I can second that. Premium emergency repair equipment.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Well, they make those little plastic hand held 'sewing machine' gadgets like 'easy stitch' or this thing for $4.20 and free shipping.

's-Mini-Sewing-Machine-p-20129.html?currency=USD&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase

Don't know whether they actually work or not and I see lots of lousy reviews for things like the easy stitch and singer's version.

On the other hand, if you're on the road and just trying to survive the day....

Oh, some surprisingly decent reviews on the el-cheapo.

I'd think being purely mechanical needing no batteries is probably a plus for a suitcase 'emergency' device.

Btw, clear plastic thread doesn't work worth spit for hems and will come right back out in no time.

Reply to
flipper

Duct tape, of course. When traveling, take along a 3-ish foot strip. Easiest (for me, at least) is to fold over the first inch or so, glue to glue, and then wrap the rest around that. Takes up no space to speak of and it does come in handy.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Ha! Good luck. Thompson would need an illustrated manual just to thread the needle. Hot glue would be a better choice - it really sticks to polyester.

-- Joe

Is it because he thinks sewing is women's work? Or does he just need a big hammer for everything.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

l I

it

.

big

No, it's because he's only recently started wearing clothes - he designs circuits in his underwear, under a thermal lamp. Things changed when he found out about Home Depot.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

It's called a 'safety pin'.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Try carrying one an airplane... particularly if you're old, white, and look harmless as a fly. You'll get grilled, body-scanned and patted down and they'll take away all your safety pins, and your 2" Swiss Army Knife, and put your name on the "watch" list :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

And yet, foreign looking types can bring on their religious baubbles, or grab a smoke in the bathroom. What is the world coming to, anyway?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Garber

Is that an approved TSA liquid ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I think it is called "Stitch Witch". As I understand, you can put clothing together with this glue and then sew it for permanent. Beware, I do not have experience with it... John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

I sort of doubt you'd get in trouble for a 1/2 inch safety pin. You could use fabric glue, of course, but that's a liquid. Or, bring along a spare pair of pants. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs