Yet another new laptop

There are too many things happening at one time to determine how the size of the display affects the selling and reselling prices. For example, there are far more 15" displays produced and sold than 17" displays, which would make the 17" display more expensive. Double resolution displays (3840x2160) displays are common in 14", but not available in 17" which might make the 14" displays more expensive. What I would guess(tm) is that 17" displays are less desirable because large laptops are less portable, which would lower the price of used

17" laptops. That might be why the price is unusually low.

I had something like that happen with Chromebooks. Used and refurbished 13" Chromebooks sell for more than 14". 15" is about the same as 14". Oddly, refurbished 1366x768 sells for about the same as

1920x1080 in the same size screen. Mostly, I'm using prices from Acer recertified:

$50 is the approximate cost of a Win 10 license to an MS Authorized Refurbisher. You can find licenses at this price on the gray market. List price is $150, although you can sometimes find it for less.

In this case, Win 7 Pro is what originally came with the laptop so it's an obvious and low cost choice. See the Dell data sheet. The seller does not seem to be an authorized refurbisher and probably does not have access to the $50 Win 10 package.

Warning. It usually takes me a full working day to update Win 7 SP1 to the latest updates. I think there was something like 3GBytes of downloads involved.

RAM is cheap so why not load up the machine? I service a few Dell Optiplex 390(?) machines with Win 7. These are limited (by Dell) to

8GB of RAM maximum by Dell. The 8GB is ok for running 1 or 2 programs at the same time, but gets bogged down when running more.

Perhaps a dedicated data logger? Pull the SD card and process that data later on a PC. However, if you're going to do FPGA programming on it, I guess a real PC is justified. I have a few Dell Optiplex 780 in USFF (ultra small form factor) packages running Win 7 with weather station software. I've been swapping out older XP machines after a software upgrade made XP unusable. They're quite small and VERY cheap at $50 to $80. Not sure about reliable quite yet. I've had 2 fan failures.

I'm making the assumption that you will be traveling with a laptop. Since you're considering two of them, I guess this assumption applies to only one.

Downsides:

  1. Difficult to carry around.
  2. Eats desk space.
  3. Hard to find replacement parts.
  4. Sucks more backlighting power.
  5. Some 17" machines have larger or odd batteries.
  6. Larger than the tiny round tables at Starbucks.

Do some searching for questions like "should I buy a 17 inch laptop" or "is a 17 inch laptop too big" and see what others think.

Since you like big screens on laptop, perhaps you should consider an all-in-one PC, such as these: Basically, they're a laptop built into a desktop display. 24" and larger is typical. They're a bit more awkward and heavier, but if you can tolerate the size and weight of the M6600, something in the same class should be even better. Just remove the stand, add a handle, and you're ready to go. Think BIG!

We must live on different planets. Most of my dedicated machines use former cash register monitors, which vary from 11" to 15". I get them cheap. The former owners of 17" laptops mostly went to 14" or 15" displays, and plug into larger monitors when used on a desk. The current fashion is 21.5" to 27".

Here's where we differ in opinion. You consider 17" portable, while I do not. My laptop of choice is a 14" Chromebook. It's small, light, great display, very long battery life, and of course cheap. When I go to a customer, I either use the 14" display, or commandeer their desktop monitor if I have to deal with a small crowd.

See the guys in Florida on how to destroy a bridge. Fire is kinda messy.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Hmmm... No ethernet port mentioned, but from looking at photos, the M6500 has one.

Mostly yes. There are simple adapters and adapter cables available: I use one on my home desktop (Dell Opti 960).

However, there are problems. This article covers it nicely: Displayport has no audio or ethernet connections. It doesn't quite drive "real" 4K monitors (3840x2160 max).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
:

from what I can read displayport supports 4 channels of audio, it just doesn't have audio from the display to the computer, only from computer to displays

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm not looking at such a wide range. I'm just comparing Dell Precision de vices of different sizes. Not really worth analyzing, I was just commentin g that the screen size doesn't seem to drive price in this dollar range of Dells.

That's my point. Win 7 = free, Win 10 = $50.

Good to know, thanks.

How cheap? I'm seeing prices of over $100 from third party vendors which i s what it costs to get it in the machine in the first place. For the test fixture I'm sure it's not needed.

As if a data logger is cheaper than a PC and it won't *control* the test fi xture. This is a dedicated piece of hardware with a serial port. The PC c ontrols it through a custom program.

The PC *is* the cheap data logger for this use.

Largely a false assumption. The test fixture sits for a couple of weeks wh ile the boards are tested, then the whole shooting match is brought back to my shop to sit on a shelf.

Why is a laptop hard to carry around???

It's smaller than the desktop it replaces.

Another laptop is the replacement part.

Backlighting power??? Who cares??? Still better than a desktop by miles.

It will be plugged in virtually always.

I currently use a 17" laptop as my main machine, but HP screwed up the keyb oard so bad I'm taking it back to Costco. It fits on any table I want to u se it on just fine. I don't go to Starbucks.

Why would I care what others think? I've been using a 17" laptop for the l ast six years and it is the best decision I ever made.

My cousin has one of these and it's nice for desktop use. It would not be nearly as portable as a laptop when it has to be moved anywhere.

For personal use I have seriously considered a large TV as my screen, but o n the wall it would appear smaller than my laptop in my lap! I want bigger , not smaller. At a desk a TV would be ok but I seldom work at a desk.

Yes, very different planets. Do you really think many people even have acc ess to cash register monitors?

BTW, do you know a cheap source of touch panels? Where could I get junk de vices that I could salvage touch panels from? Anything from 5 inch to 10 i nch diagonal would be good.

The 17" laptop fits the same bag I've used for six years. Where's the prob lem?

You aren't doing the sort of work I do where I need a lot of territory to v iew waveforms, etc.

When I mentioned all-in-one I wasn't necessarily talking about a monitor wi th built in PC. I was thinking of those tiny desktop cases and a separate monitor, keyboard, etc. As long as I could toss it all in a briefcase (oth er than the keyboard I guess) it would be portable.

Lol They gave me trouble last time I made boards and this time it didn't start off any better. Next time will be with someone else. In 10 years th ey only screwed up twice, but both times were BIG.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I believe you're correct. HDMI was designed by the television manufacturers (Hitachi, Panasonic, Sony, etc.) and is intended for television things. Televisions often generate audio so there is a back-channel (ARC = Audio Return Channel). Display Port was designed by the video standards group (VESA) for computer displays. Computers often have more than one monitor (TVs don't) but they don't generally generate sound. The needs are similar, hence the similarities but they're not the same (hence the differences).

Reply to
krw

Oops, you're correct (except that the latest version can do 8 audio channels): See Pg 30.

Audio Data Transport Capabilities - single stream can carry up to 8 LPCM channels at 192 KHz with 24 bit resolution. - This represents ~0 1 Gbps payload which is easily accommodated. Supported compressed formats include DRA, Dolby MAT, DTS HD Options Added by DP 1.2 - Multi-Stream Transport can extend the number of audio channels. - Audio copy protection. - GTC (Global Time Code) provides very precise time control of audio channel timing. Each audio channel can have an independent time delay adjustment between 0 and 4.3 seconds relative to a given source in 100 nano second resolution. Used both for lip sync and speaker phase control.

The problem is that I've seen many laptops that do not have outgoing audio implemented on the Displayport connector. It seems to be an optional feature. Here are some Google search results with users dealing with the same problem: Incidentally, my home Dell Optiplex 960 does NOT support audio over DP and I have no idea if the various Precision MxXXX laptop models support audio over Displayport.

"Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the DisplayPort port on a Dell PC"

"A Guide to the External Ports and Connectors on a Dell Computer"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A bit more on Win 7. I've bought quite a few refurbished computers from the local recycler/refurbisher, eBay, and various web dealers. When possible, I wipe the drive clean, and re-load the OS from known good CD/DVD's. This solves 2 problems:

  1. It makes sure that the MS activation key actually works.
  2. It eliminated badly loaded machines. I didn't think it was possible to screw up a basic OS install but it does happen. I was in a hurry to deliver 2 new machines, so I didn't reinstall the OS. Big mistake. After a day of updates and another day of dealing with some weird problems, I wiped the machines and started over.

Price of RAM has gone up recently. The various Dell Precision laptops use PC3-12800 RAM. 8GB sticks start at about $50. I haven't checked if the various Dell Precision models will take an

8GB stick or prefer 2x4GB.

Watch out for dead LiIon batteries. When they short, they will usually blow a surface mount fuse. Occasionally, they will blow up the charging circuit, which is what happened to my Dell XP M1210 and a few others.

Because you don't have a monopoly on good ideas or experience. It's easier and cheaper to learn from the mistakes and research done by others.

I know of several customers that think otherwise. However, if 17" machines work well for you, far be it for me to suggest something smaller might be better.

Incidentally, my prime criteria for a Chromebook is light weight. The problem is that I spend much of my time looking up things on the Chromebook, and then showing the display to someone across the table. With a big heavy laptop, I have to shove it across the table, knocking over the coffee cups and generally making a mess. With a light weight Chromebook, I can lift it over the coffee cups, and hold it suspended in the air for others to see the screen.

My former ladyfriend bought one of those on the home shopping TV thing. Hp something. It mostly worked, was kinda slow, and was overpriced. I resold it to one of my cheap customers for less than it was worth, and then spend a week trying to upgrade it from Win 8.0 to

8.1. Thank you Microsoft for yet another weird bug. Since then, my cheap customer has made my life a little too entertaining. One feature that I found rather odd was the inability to operate the display vertically. It has no stand but uses a "kickstand" of sorts on the back. If oriented with the display fully vertical, it tried to fall over. It's mostly ok, if you don't mind operating the machine standing up.

But it would have a screen larger than 17" which you seem to prefer.

Look before you leap. "Why You Shouldn't Use a 4K TV as a Computer Monitor" "What are the pros and cons of using a (large) TV as a computer monitor?"

I had the bright idea of using an LED projection display as a computah monitor. It worked great for YouTube and Netflix. However, for text, everything seemed to be otto focus and blurry. I gave up that idea.

Then, I saw my first 4K (3840x2160) computer monitor (not TV). Everything was very sharp and clear, even the fine print. I'm shopping for a bargain and will probably buy one when the prices approach sanity.

Small POS (point of sale) monitors are all over eBay for $40 to $80: I usually buy these at auction or in small lots of 10 or so. I also get them from my customers when they upgrade.

Like for a Raspberry Pi system? I don't have any good sources for those. The one I bought was rather pricey: I do have some GPS guided farm tractor navigation displays with that include a 10"(?) touchscreen LCD display. I'm keeping those for my projects.

Let us know what you finally end up buying.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

An M6500 with 16 GB RAM and a 1920 x 1200 display with Win 10. We'll see if it supports bluetooth. I've read they never upgraded the drivers for 10.

I should have it a week from Tuesday.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Sounds good. 16GB is the right amount of RAM. 1920x1200 is what I have on all my desktops. It's noticeably easier for reading text than

1920x1080. Win 10 is good.

No Win 8 or 10 drivers on the Dell download site:

You might want to grab the service manual:

Oh-oh. The BlueGoof (WPAN) device in the photo on Pg 84 is a half mini PCI-e card like this. I'm fairly sure that the Precision M6500 uses a Dell Wireless 365 card, which is very different: I have a guess which is the correct device, but it's easier to wait a week to find out. Best of luck and may everything work on arrival.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't think the test station needs 16 GB of RAM, but this machine was the same price as others with only 8 GB so I'm good with that. The CPU is a b it less than you had suggested, but you can't have everything. They call i t "Core i7 1st Gen. 2.13GHz". I haven't figured out exactly which CPU that is, but I know enough to think "1st Gen" is pretty old. Again, for the te st fixture it won't matter. I could probably run the software I need on a PII running W2K except for the FPGA programmer and that would only be becau se they likely don't support W2K anymore.

Good reason to run Linux.

Thanks. Interesting format.

The listing talked about delivery being over a week but once they got the o rder they shipped it next business day and UPS will deliver it in 3 days.

I may crack the case when I get the machine on Thursday to see the Bluetoot h board. I think they have a 30 day warranty, maybe I'll wait for that to run out, lol.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It depends what you are using it for and how often you will want to carry it round with you. A 17" laptop is fine if you only ever go by car and use it on a nice big table - it is a PITA on public transport.

I have gone in the opposite direction for travelling light and have an Android tablet and an ASUS T1000 10" Win8.1 actually bought to get a cheap new version MS Office License (the hardware was a bonus and the model number appealed too). One or the other will suffice most days when I am travelling. Serious computations require the desktop replacement.

I don't know what the equivalent of Cex is in the USA but the places where keen gamers recycle their laptops is worth a look if you want a really powerful machine secondhand. I got a Samsung RF711 that way in a hurry when my trusty Toshiba 17" suddenly developed a serious fault.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If only there were public transport where I live. Maybe the Greyhound stil l runs, I don't know. Otherwise the choices are car, pickup or SUV. The 1

7" incher is the best choice unless you want to spring for one of the rathe r rare 18" laptops.

I tried a 10" tablet. I found it a PITA to hold in my hand, too small to s ee much and too hard to read with my vision issues. I didn't find much to be intuitive under Android.

I was in Costco and they had the Asus ROG on sale again. So I picked up on e knowing I can return it. The refurbished laptop will be here Thursday an d if it works out ok I will return the Asus unopened.

I'm pretty ticked off with Costco these days. They are hard to deal with a t times, never having the same stuff in the store two months in a row. The web site is totally separate from the stores, so the only way to know if t hey have something you want is to visit the store! Then today I bought a b unch of expensive stuff I barely needed so that with the computer the total was over $1400. The cashier said I should spring for an Executive members hip. At the service desk I asked if returning something that was bought be fore I had the executive membership would be counted against the stuff I bu y under the executive membership and she said yes. Ridiculous. I have som e things I will be returning, so I declined the Executive membership.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I prefer a 14" with a high resolution (2560x1440 or 3200x1600) display. That's almost always enough for portable use. For workstation use, I'd rather have a couple of large displays.

For a couple of years I used a 10" Windows tablet. It was great for Internet use but way too slow for any engineering work. I only stopped using it because I left it in the car on a summer day and it killed the WiFi and Bluetooth radios. It still works if it's USB tethered to my phone but that's a PITA.

That's they way those places work.

Reply to
krw

ar

till runs, I don't know. Otherwise the choices are car, pickup or SUV. Th e 17" incher is the best choice unless you want to spring for one of the ra ther rare 18" laptops.

I fail to "see" what resolution has to do with it. I can't see the detail on the 1920 x 1080 17" screen. I guess you still have the eyes of a teenag er.

en

o see much and too hard to read with my vision issues. I didn't find much to be intuitive under Android.

A friend has a netbook sized Microsoft thing she calls a "surface". It has a detachable? keyboard and she really likes it. I can see the appeal of a small device, but if I can't read it what is the point? I need one of tho se computer screens from the movie Brazil with a tiny picture tube and a hu ge magnifier in front of it. lol

one knowing I can return it. The refurbished laptop will be here Thursday and if it works out ok I will return the Asus unopened.

h at times, never having the same stuff in the store two months in a row. The web site is totally separate from the stores, so the only way to know i f they have something you want is to visit the store! Then today I bought a bunch of expensive stuff I barely needed so that with the computer the to tal was over $1400. The cashier said I should spring for an Executive memb ership. At the service desk I asked if returning something that was bought before I had the executive membership would be counted against the stuff I buy under the executive membership and she said yes. Ridiculous. I have some things I will be returning, so I declined the Executive membership.

There is no reason why a return from before the executive membership needs to count against the rewards after the upgrade. I'll likely be canceling m y membership as soon as I get my statement with the rebate.

The new laptop is supposed to be here today. I'm looking forward to it.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 8:01:05 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

out (what a POS!)

UPS made it here in spite of the snow on the ground. My driveway is not so great when wet.

The machine is pretty much what I expected, a heavy, clunky box that blows heat like a hair dryer. The display is pretty good with excellent color, b est of any laptop I've owned. The HP I'll be returning is still better in viewing angle showing virtually no dimming or distortion from any angle, bu t this one has much better viewing angles than the Lenovo I only had for tw o years before it crapped out.

This machine came with Win 10 installed, but I see no evidence of Dell driv ers. So it will be some work to get it fully set up. I'm still not certai n what options it has and doesn't have. Looks like it has the built in cam era, but it is very hard to tell. It seems to have the fastest then availa ble processor, Intel Core i7-940XM Quad Core Extreme. The Intel spec sheet says this only supports up to 8 GB of RAM, but with 16 installed that is c learly wrong.

The keyboard is a real keyboard with real travel if not the full tactile fe edback of the 80's. The touchpad can't be controlled separately from the e xternal mouse, so I had to load a program to allow different speeds to be s et. The touchpad does get in the way of typing a bit, but it's not as bad as any of the others I've used... just as I typed that the palm swipe delet ed a large hunk of text, thank goodness for "undo". This touchpad is actua lly usable (real buttons) and there is also a pointing stick, one of them w ill likely be a *usable* second choice to the mouse.

I need to test the battery at some point just so I know what to expect. It holds up for a few seconds at a time so far. I don't expect much more tha n an hour from even a new one.

I don't think this box will become my new personal machine because of the o verly hot lap I'd have. It may not be too bad in the winter, but in the su mmer a hot machine on your legs will raise your entire body temperature. W e'll see. This thing has a connector on the bottom for a docking station. If I can get one of those inexpensively, maybe I'll finally transition to using a TV and wireless keyboard with the PC on the other side of the room. I recall seeing mention of a Microsoft feature of transporting video over Wifi, but I've never seen any mention of it on the TVs. Wireless video wo uld be ideal, but we'll see what I can find.

Rick

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Characters are better formed and easier to read. Jaggies are much reduced.

The point is that you can carry it with you. I like my Note-8, for the same reason. I also have a 7" tablet I use at the gym to watch Netflix. It's just big enough to see but still easy to throw in the gym bag.

Don't understand the above.

I really like my Lenovo X1 Yoga. Wasn't cheap, though.

Reply to
krw

:

no*

ay.

itor

y car

d still runs, I don't know. Otherwise the choices are car, pickup or SUV. The 17" incher is the best choice unless you want to spring for one of the rather rare 18" laptops.

il on the 1920 x 1080 17" screen. I guess you still have the eyes of a tee nager.

All irrelevant when the characters are too small to see well. Like I said, you don't have the aging eyes I have.

an

he

when

nt.

l to see much and too hard to read with my vision issues. I didn't find mu ch to be intuitive under Android.

has a detachable? keyboard and she really likes it. I can see the appeal o f a small device, but if I can't read it what is the point? I need one of those computer screens from the movie Brazil with a tiny picture tube and a huge magnifier in front of it. lol

I don't go to the gym and I wouldn't be watching a screen if I did. I padd le a kayak and only need to see the 3 inch screen on my GPS. My 17" laptop which Jeff feels is too big to carry and too small to see is my Goldilocks size. Small enough to carry and large enough to see. I can do engineerin g work on it and I can whip it out at Panera's while I dine on black bean s oup and savor an orange scone.

Nice

in a

.

[...]

I bought a $1K laptop which I know I will be returning soon. I'm told I sh ould upgrade to an extra $60 for the "executive" membership which pays a pe rcentage back on everything you buy. Returning the laptop will deduct from my percentage back even though buying it never added to my percentage back .

The annual rebate comes on the credit card statement. When I get this one I will cash it and likely cancel my membership.

My Lenovo was the world's biggest piece of crap and is the whole reason I a m buying a new laptop after just two years. My Toshiba wasn't my favorite machine, but at least it lasted 4 years. Looking back most of it's problem s were likely from not having enough memory.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Utter nonsense. Just change their size. You're wrong, of course, which is why I like well formed characters.

Why not? I don't like to exercise but watching netflix (the dumber the show, the better) passes the time and makes going at least tolerable. I wouldn't carry a 17" laptop around if I had one. Too big and too heavy.

That is odd. I think I'd be asking for (rather, insisting on) my money back.

I have the same sort of thing at Sam's, though it's in the form of a credit card and it's free. It pays 5% back on all the gas I buy, so we get a check for something like $250-$300 every year. Free money! What's not to like?

The Dells I've had at work have been complete junk. The Precision

5500 I have now is complete junk - incredibly expensive junk.
Reply to
krw

ote:

:

nn

ay

ing

of

s *no*

splay.

monitor

o by car

t.

ound still runs, I don't know. Otherwise the choices are car, pickup or SU V. The 17" incher is the best choice unless you want to spring for one of the rather rare 18" laptops.

etail on the 1920 x 1080 17" screen. I guess you still have the eyes of a teenager.

id, you don't have the aging eyes I have.

You are so hard to talk to when you think you know what you are talking abo ut, but you don't. What you call "well formed characters" might not be wel l formed to someone with even better eyes. To me I can't see the differenc e unless they were larger. But if the screen is limited in size it ends up looking like viewing documents and programs through a magnifying glass whe re you only see a portion of the work at any one time. That is a very poor way to work. I use a larger display with adequate resolution for my eyes and get my work done efficiently.

Is that more clear to you now?

ave an

et a

d the

ays when

ement.

mall to see much and too hard to read with my vision issues. I didn't find much to be intuitive under Android.

It has a detachable? keyboard and she really likes it. I can see the appea l of a small device, but if I can't read it what is the point? I need one of those computer screens from the movie Brazil with a tiny picture tube an d a huge magnifier in front of it. lol

addle a kayak and only need to see the 3 inch screen on my GPS. My 17" lap top which Jeff feels is too big to carry and too small to see is my Goldilo cks size. Small enough to carry and large enough to see. I can do enginee ring work on it and I can whip it out at Panera's while I dine on black bea n soup and savor an orange scone.

Why not what? Not everyone lives the same life as you. I don't carry anyt hing around with me other than my flip phone. I don't need a computer 24 h ours a day. I need it to do work and to view shows and a 17 inch laptop is ideal for my lifestyle.

I think you just like to argue.

. Nice

The

aces

ant a

ay in a

ult.

[...]

Your money back for what? I will be returning the laptop. I never spent t he extra $60 and will be getting my money back for the $60 I did spend on t he original membership.

ne I will cash it and likely cancel my membership.

Your Sam's club membership is not free. You don't even know what I'm talki ng about do you? Both Costco and Sam's have the same deal. Costco is just a lot bigger and has a lot more stores.

it.

I am buying a new laptop after just two years. My Toshiba wasn't my favori te machine, but at least it lasted 4 years. Looking back most of it's prob lems were likely from not having enough memory.

Ok, yours is junk. Mine seems to be working pretty well other than the coo ling which I'm not sure is working right. I hear a fan come on and the mac hine is hot, but I don't feel much air coming out of the exhaust ports. Li kely they are a bit clogged. I've asked permission to open it up and clean it out since there is a 30 day warranty. If that doesn't fix it I can ret urn it for a full refund. I'm impressed with these guys.

BTW, if you want to get rid of yours, I'll pay the shipping to me.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It's a fair assumption the computer manufacturers would not be providing machines in screen sizes that do not sell. There is undoubtedly a large enough market for laptops with 17" displays to get their attention. My problem is that few users that I know about which have bought 17" displays have not been satisfied with the result and have later purchased smaller machines. My guess(tm) is the problem with 17" displays is NOT the lack of portability, but rather the large desk or table space required. I don't know what size tables are available at Panera's, but Starbucks tables are too small: (Yes, I know you don't go to Starbucks). My 14" Chromebook fits nicely on my desk. A 17" laptop, might not fit without some reorganization.

I just ordered two Lenovo Yoga 710 laptops for a customer. Something like this but for less money: It's not what I would have bought, but the customer "wanted the best". I expect complaints over the low profile keyboard, but everything else looks like it should work. I've had some experience with similar Yoga models and had few difficulties. Well, the mini-HDMI receptacle was a bit of a problem on the Yoga 2, but easily solved by trimming the plug with a razor blade.