XTL choice for 137Hz w/ CD4046

First datasheet I found.

Some have. Some are still pissed that the FCC banned spark.

That's what I said in another message.

--
Lead free solder is Belgum's version of 'Hold my beer and watch this!'
Reply to

You had/have a ham radio license? Now they all come out of the woodwork :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I still have a couple Johnson commercial UHF mobile radios that use a power varactor tripler with a VHF high band transmitter as a driver stage. I never did like Johnson radios. They always sounded like crap. I sold some of the first synthesized business radios on the market. The pace 'Landmaster' series. The modulated VCO gave excellent audio quality, unlike the phase modulated & multiplied junk other companies were still selling.

My first Two Meter work was in the late '60s when my high school built a repeater out of a transmitter strip from a Motorola 'Twin-V' and a receiver strip from a GE 'Pre-Prog'. The power supply, timers, control circuits and diplexer were all designed and built by members of the club.

Michael A. Terrell

The OP has been silent all this time while we've been suggesting and discussing various options. His opening post was unambiguous about using a CD4060. He's given no indication of whether this is a one-off hobby project or for a production run. We don't know if he's committed to using a 4060 or if this is one of those situations that, I suspect, is behind many of the questions asked here: Someone starts out with what he thinks would be a good approach to achieve a target function, but then gets stuck at some point. He then asks about that sticky point without mentioning that alternative solutions are equally acceptable.

I'm not criticising such posts. I've done it myself. But the discussion becomes a bit pointless without further input from the OP.

Reply to
pimpom
[FT crystals]

Well, yeah, and that's why these old crystals don't fetch top Dollar anymore. There aren't many of those folks left, many have gone to nursing homes, others have already moved past that stage.

I remember my first hamfest visit when these crystals were hot commodities. Because you could customize the frequency with little more than a screwdriver, 600-grit sandpaper and polishing paste. Then came the Motorola synthesizer chip MC-something and it was all over, you could suddenly fetch these crystals by the baker's dozen for little money.

It's like with nuvistors, marvelous devices for experiments when there's a chance a big zap coming along, tons of dynamic range, low noise. Yet rarely a taker on EBay and occasionally whole cartons full of NOS from Russian production get dumped there. Youngsters wouldn't even know how to wire one up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OTOH younger readers can learn from threads like this and this gets archived literally forever. We must think about the next generation. There comes a time when you and I put our teeth in a jar at night and our trembling hands can't hold the soldering iron no more.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Or to find a tube socket. I still have some NOS RCA 6CW4 or 6DS4 in storage.

Michael A. Terrell

Possibly Sovtek still makes sockets. In a pinch I've even soldered directly to the pins of tubes although that really puts a knot into the stomach of a true tube enthusiast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have these for spares for some old equipment. I'm not going to mess with them, if I don'thave to. I may still have some used sockets left from scraping hundreds of old garage door openers, a couple decades ago. I'm not about to go out to the shop in the driving rain and high winds to find out. :(

Michael A. Terrell

K7ZAE from about 1964 until 1970, then I lost interest (once I figured out how to make PLL's :-) ...Jim Thompson

I did it much longer. Then I got a job and married ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not my fault! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

I got married March 31 of my sophomore year at MIT.

This March 31 will be our 50th anniversary :-) ...Jim Thompson

Did you already book Rustler's Roost for the big party?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

D'oh! (note to self - always check, always check)

Reply to
David Eather

Not our style. ...Jim Thompson

Any objections to 4.5Mhz divided by 2^15? ( gives 137.3291015625 0.23 percent error which is a bit high but can at least be partly corrected)

Reply to
David Eather

You married at 19? Me, I waited another 14 years after my 19th birthday. I married a girl I taught during a brief stint at teaching.

Story: Back in January 1975, my sister's 11-month old son fell 20 ft onto a stone pavement and very very nearly died. During the crucial months of the baby's recovery, I subbed for my sister at the all-girl high school where she was working. I got along well with the kids and made a bit of a name for myself among the high school students of my town (pop. then about 50k). My rapport with the students helped curb a riot when there was a scandal in connection with the state's board exams, and I helped catch the culprits. Senior government officials were fired or forced to resign. So the government asked me to stay on. I left the next year, but I might not have got to know my wife well enough to marry her 9 years later if I'd left when my sister was able to resume teaching again. Funny how things work out.

Reply to
pimpom

I turned _20_ on February 20, 1960, married on March 31, 1960

Indeed! Every disaster in my lifetime has had a silver lining :-) ...Jim Thompson

Heck, blame it on the fact that it was 4 AM when I typed that. I had the distinct impression that we're now in the latter half of the year (September was in my mind). That and the recentness of your 70th birthday made me think that your anniversary comes before your birthday!

Hey, you did say earlier that your birthday's Feb 29, didn't you? Not Feb 20^. Can we attribute this to Skitt's Law? :-) .

Reply to
pimpom