Xpoint

Sounds bad. Like bubble memory again.

It's weird that Intel can't do anything but x86. I wonder if they will wreck Altera.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Anyone know what "secular" means in this context???

Kinda like Highland Technology, huh?

They appear to be giving Altera free reign. Other than the name Intel appearing on all the literature, I don't see any changes.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Non-cyclical, i.e. going on forever without returning. It refers to the Aristotelian/Ptolemaic picture of the universe: things below the orbit of the moon suffer change and decay (acyclic motion) but the heavenly spheres revolve in changeless progression.

In orbital perturbation theory, you have to be careful how you do the math or you'll wind up with "secular terms" that grow without bound and therefore become progressively more inaccurate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ut_xpoint_sales_down/

So why do you compare it to bubble memory? Bubble memory was a good techno logy that had a short life because other memory scaled better and left bubb le in the dust. I have seen nothing to indicate this would happen with xpo int, in fact it appears to have significant density advantages over both Fl ash and DRAM.

The only issue I've seen is a lack of comparison of speed with DRAM. They skirt around that issue while talking about how it is 1000's of times faste r (maybe singular) than Flash. So I assume DRAM will still be required, bu t maybe not as much. If you have large data structures that are pulled off mass storage into RAM for speed, even if xPoint is up to 10 times slower t han DRAM, it might be viable to keep this type of data in xPoint memory.

So what do you see wrong with xPoint memory?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit