Xmas lights

I was at the Mart of K last weekend with a friend; they had LED Xmas light strings. They had ~35 LED's and were priced at $10.

Got up front and found out they were half-off. He went back and got the other 9 boxes of multicolor ones. Got back in line, and adjacent cashier passed us an instant coupon just left behind; 20% off.....

Between that and the power saving...

They appear to be in series; with a lump in the line at each end. The instruction sheet talks about there being no shunt, but the LEDs are removable and they give you extras.

So if we have a rectifier in one lump, and series R in the other, some things come to mind. One failed-open LED brings down the string, and it has full line voltage across it. Hmm, is there a sparkgap in each LED that seals closed when so abused? How'd they get UL/FM approval with such?

We plan to do some measuring/testing after they are not needed, but until then, has anyone beat us to it?

& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn\'t close).........................pob 1433
David Lesher

Usually semis fail short unless they are physically damaged. One cause of failing short is excessive power dissipation. There exists an obvious risk of a cascade failure of a series string.

I doubt there's a rectifier, given that you have a series string of diodes with reasonably high typical reverse breakdown voltages. There might be a fuse to protect the wiring. There must be a resistor (probably a fusible type to deal with the problem I mention above).

There's no additional safety issue with having line voltage across an open LED. The primary risk is that someone gets themselves between the "hot" and earth, for which the cure is insulation.

No actual testing. I suspect they have evolved a bit over time.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yup, The coffin.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

When you buy cheap Chinese crap, you get to take your chances...

Reply to
PeterD

You questions don't make a lot of sense to me. If you pull an led out of it's socket or if one burns open, yes there will be full line voltage at that place. But so what? That is the same as a incandescent strings that have been available for 90 years.

When an led is plugged back into to open socket the voltage instantly falls to the two or three volts to operate the led. That voltage is established by the led's impedance and the available current, 10 mA or so. That current is established by all of the other leds in the string and the ballast resistor(s).

What has a spark gap got do with it? I don't understand your concern.

Reply to
Bob Eld

Generally stuff like that sold in the first world is required to meet reasonable safety standards, and generally due diligence takes place to ensure that they do in fact meet the standards.

For example, fires in home electronics used to kill a lot of people. They don't anymore. In the US TV fires only account for a handful of deaths out of the thousands of other fire deaths, and people have lots and lots of TVs these days, all of them made in the cheapest places on earth to manufacture things.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

True.... But if one fails open...

The instructions warn about inserting the LED's backwards. [They are keyed.]

It'd been years since I looked, but I don't recall LED's having high breakdown voltages. Five volts sticks in my mind....

As opposed to Edison base lamps; the LEDs have wires that strike me as easy oh, insert only one into a sock, etc. The widespread use of GFI's may save many a customer....

& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn\'t close).........................pob 1433
David Lesher

Yeah, it will most likely kill that one LED. Unless you stick them all in backwards, then it will be fine, IMO.

Sure that's typically the *rating* (and all that is needed in normal use), but the actual breakdown voltage is typically much higher, like

30V or more. That's actually bad news for the one that you plug in backwards because the dissipation will be high.

The ones I have are not abusable like that, but maybe the standards are lower wherever you bought these.