www.msrmaps.com

is run by Microsoft, created many years ago to demonstrate their server capabilities. It serves map images created by USGS. A few years ago they were going to take it offline, but when word got out and users complained the relented and kept it online. The trouble is it is very unreliable, going down for long periods of time and only up for what seem like short periods.

I can't figure out what they could be doing that would be so unreliable. I've got a ping -t running on this address and the response is mostly "Request timed out." with a few "Destination net unreachable." thrown in. Every once in a while I can download some of the data. Any idea how this could be so unreliable?

--

Rick
Reply to

Cox: Sorry, the website

cannot be found ...Jim Thompson

Probably served off somebody's laptop.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I suppose that might be possible these days. The part of the data base we use is over 2 TB with I believe the full data being around 15 TB if I recall correctly. I expect the needed bandwidth is not very much since no one with an important need would depend on this server. But my understanding was there was one equipment upgrade after the initial installation in the 90's or early 2000's. I want to say it consists of a small number of servers now.

--

Rick
Reply to

The story we heard working on Alphaserver running 64bit Windows Server before Intel did was this is the goto place for your USGS maps:

It is still running.

The fun and funny stories about it cost money.

Oddly enough

did not work five minutes ago, but did just now when I tested it again then did not for a search.

I managed to screen scrape this bit from msrmaps: "News MSRMaps shutting down on May 1, 2012!"

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

This seems to work also:

Unless you really are just hot on the trail of why a dead server is acting wonky.

BTW Do you really want to be continnuoulsy 'ping'ing where this msrmaps is at. Besides, isn't ping more useless than tracert these days?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert msrmaps.com

Tracing route to msrmaps.com [65.54.113.33] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms
Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

Terraserver was the original URL for the server, but something happened and various companies parted ways. The original servers are now at the URL in the subject line.

Yeah, that is the thing, up one minute, down the next.

That was the original plan and literally at the last minute they decided to keep it up. Users of one map program that uses this data base were downloading all 2 TB of map and image data available. Oddly enough there are some holes in the data such as in Tennessee and a big gap in one of the Carolinas.

--

Rick
Reply to

None of those servers provide the data used by the map program I am using. If it could be determined, yes, I would like to know why this server is not working. The clumsy part is that I have to manually start each download. When it times out the error message interrupts whatever I am doing. I've got a huge part of this data base on DVDs. I guess I should just dig them out and install them.

--

Rick
Reply to

does not have a DNS record but msrmaps.com does and there is a site there but it does seem to struggle to reply.

No ping reply at all here but some people choose not to respond to pings. It says nothing about reliability.

If they were going to take it off line a few years ago then it doesn't sound like a surprise to me that it's not working very well. Perhaps you are competing with others for downloads.

Reply to
John Smith

DNS

+1