Wrong Sil pad?

I put one of these,

under my to-247 (IRFP90N20..) (see my Fet as heater threads) I somehow blew up the FET, and discovered that the drain was shorted to ground through the sil pad. Held in place with 4-40 screw. (I carefully de-burred the hole before using it.. BTDT) I don't quite understand how shorting the drain could kill the fet.?

Anyway I stuck a piece of kapton tape under it for the time being, (not the greatest thermal conductor) And am now looking for Sil pad recommendations.

TIA

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh, that's phase-change stuff. It's terrible. It flows just enough to short, but not enough to really get theta down.

Use a proper fiberglas+silicone pad.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Now you tell me. :^)

This looks the best,

(I have to calculate the numbers for an Al203 "pad".)

But still 2 C/W! (what's the sense of getting a package with low junction to case thermal conductivity.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Another possible issue- I recently did an emergency repair on a commercial US-made $$$$$ aircraft-grade rack mount device that had the nut and bolt vibrate off a heatsink in relatively few flight hours (yes, it had toothed lockwashers). I suspect the silicone pad helped it go loose.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

You could go back to the more robust mica and heat transfer paste.

Some high spec applications use ceramic plate insulators.

The fully insulated packages are foolproof - but thermal resistance isn't so good.

http://www.avg.com
Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Use a bigger package, TO247 maybe, or several TO220s. Bigger thermal footprint.

I like to hard anodize aluminum and then just use grease or epoxy. Much lower theta.

AlN or BeO both conduct heat close to copper. Alumina is terrible.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh, there are some internally insulated TO220 transistors around.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Someone should sell heavy anodized aluminum insulating washers/ plates for various packages. Solder them onto the heatsink. (I'm using to-247 so probably better than 2 thermal ohms.)

Re Alumina, right the ~2mm plate was ~4 C/W at 25C. (to-247) that's as bad as the isolated tab to-220's that I over loaded.

Can I buy AlN sheets/ spacers? Then I need a grease too? (Silicone vacuum grease?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh boy, minimal vibrations I hope. I've been using bellville (sp) washers. I do worry about thermal cycling.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

IIRR heat-sink grease is silicone grease loaded with zinc oxide particles.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I recall discussing this with a bunch of PC gear heads once. They seemed to think there was magic in the heat sink grease that meant they had to use the top shelf, silver impregnated stuff to get good thermal connections. I tried until I was blue in the face to show them that it just didn't matter if they did it right. Properly applied heat sink grease is so thin that it doesn't really matter what you use, the temperature drop is microscopic. Someone proved it by using butter once which worked as well as anything else and made a great tasting heat sink.

Properly applied heat sink grease is very, very thin. The PC gearheads polish the heat sink on glass so it is as flat and smooth as possible. The heat sink grease is applied with the edge of a razor blade to spread and thin it. Set the sink on top of the chip and don't slide it around as that can make the grease ball up under the sink. Pressure is essential to getting the grease into all the pores and squeezing any microscopic air bubbles as small as possible.

How thick do you expect your grease layer to be?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Forget the hole , use a spring clip.

Martin Riddle

Have you tried the oriented carbon fiber pads?

Reply to
krw

They do tend to be electrically conductive. We used them with Peltier junctions back in 1993, and they worked fine, but George has excluded electrically conductive options.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you can get the surfaces flat and polished, forget the grease completely.

Reply to
krw

Not possible, a wide flat washer, then bellevile looks a bit like a spring clip.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, in fact extremely flat surfaces are worse than modestly flat surfaces. (Can you hypothesize why?)

An atomically flat surface might cold-weld together, which could be expected to give very good results, assuming it bonds over most of the surface.

Practical "extremely flat" surfaces include gauge blocks, which can be wrung together (a holding force which is probably a combination of dispersion forces and other atomic weirdness). I don't offhand see a reference for the thermal conductivity between wrung gauge blocks, but I imagine it's dismal.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

The contact area between two surfaces that are not atomically flat and are made of rigid material approximately equals the preload force divided by the yield strength.

Thermal conductance at material interfaces is quite poorly understood--the straightforward derivations give wildly wrong answers at low temperatures. It certainly isn't just the sum of the bulk thermal resistances.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

We aren't talking about low temperatures, here. I usually figure ~100Cish for a heat sink (125C to 150C Tj). I don't see how adding (any) grease helps if the surfaces match. We're talking practical heatsinks, here, not theory.

Reply to
krw

(any) grease helps if the surfaces match.

Good grease (e.g. Arctic Silver or Shin Etsu stuff) gets up to 2.5 W/m/K, v s. 0.025 for room temperature air. In the thermal resistance approximation, any benefit you get from lapping is 100 times greater with paste. You just have to keep it from wedging the surfaces apart.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs