Wow!

So, you must know what the plug coming out of the radiator grille is for ; )

Reply to
Oppie

My things sure have gotten easy in Minnesota over the last hundred or so years. My mother always said she had to walk two miles *up* hill, both to and from school through two feet of snow.

Reply to
krw

She tweaked you to see your reaction. But, you know that now.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

TWO feet???? What a whimp! We had to walk through TEN feet, and all we had for our feet was tree bark!

Luckily, they had discovered steel, so that we could inscribe our lessons in the clay tablets, which were frozen solid, of course.

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote in news:iiklum$v25$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I was stranded in Santee on I-95 for nearly a week in March, 1973, when a horrible (for us) blizzard simply covered Sumter to Jacksonville with three feet of snow in a matter of hours.....and no equipment like MN to remove it.

I had a '72 VW 411 station wagon with a gasoline forced air heater. There was a mere path from Charleston up I-26 to US-15 where the path turned towards Santee. But, alas, at Santee overturned trucks in the snow drifts

5' thick blocked all traffic and we spent our days hauling gas from a hand pump at one station to the car with a 5 gallon can to keep us from freezing to death in 20F temps all night. We also had to sleep in the day because the National Guard helicopters flew just above the cars with big search lights to keep us up all night. The truckers, stranded in Santee, got fed up with the ripoff artists that Santee is famous for. One diner wanted $10 for 2 eggs and toast. Coffee was $5 more. The truckers decended upon this jerk, who was using stranded people for crew to make the meals, tore out his cash register and took a sledge hammer to it from someone's rig, telling him he would be serving stranded motorists he's lived off of for years for FREE from now on. National Guard talked to truckers on CB and brought us more food. We ate quite well, considering. It was a horrible storm....3 feet of snow shut this place down, tight.

I lived on the Florence Hwy in Sumter and my dog was also stranded in the storm. My ham radio buddies tried to feed him as he tried to bite them several times guarding my house. He survived for 12 more years. His dog house had a hole he'd dug into it making an igloo to keep him warm. Smart dog.

You would not recognize Sumter, now. It's no longer the little AF town 6 miles from Shaw. The city completely surrounds Shaw up to Dalzell and past the US 15 4-lane on the South. There's a huge mall to replace Wesmark Plaza. Our CB/Computer store, Seeley Communications, was across from Wesmark on the main drag. Dick Seeley was a decorated Vietnam fighter jock, probably the shortest pilot in the whole USAF. We became friends when Dick took my electronics course at Sumter TEC in the 70's. I left for Iran to work for the Shah's air force in 1977, fed up with very low pay as a TEC instructor....living like a refugee, the song said.

I grew up in the lake effect snows of central NY 40 mi SW of Syracuse. Here's what Oswego looked like in 2007 under global warming....

The top of the layer shows the marks of a caterpillar crawler backhoe that dug down deep in the snow until it was shallow enough for the big snow blowers to clean the road. I don't know how they found the road edges but they did a good job. One of my old high school girl friends from the

1960's lives nearby....

That's a full sized Ford Expedition in Black....(c;] Nice place, like MN, to be FROM!

Reply to
Fred

Yes it is. The snow was up to my barracks window at greely, and I was on the second floor.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Feb 4, 12:22=A0pm, flipper wrote: [...]

I would suspect that electric cars will not be nearly as popular among people who fix, tow or otherwise help start cars in cold weather.

When a deep freeze hits, there's always a good portion of batteries failing that worked just fine before the challenge.

For some reason, those moments are also when battery terminals with oxide seem to cause the most problems, probably because of thickened oil causing starter to draw more amperes.

My impression is that car batteries don't last as long in deep freeze states.

This is why I suspect more people in deep freeze states would be particularly skeptical about a car with even MORE battery.

And "waste heat" produced by burning fuel for 10 minutes or so is looked at more favorably in deep freeze situations.

Reply to
Greegor

You're an idiot.

The batteries which get affected in such situations are LEAD ACID batteries, you dopey ditz!

Good thing electric cars have no oils, thick or otherwise, that they need to worry about what temperature it is to use.

Damned shame that we cannot test how long your brain last under a deep freeze.

Only if they are as stupid as you or anyone in your family.

If you were any more retarded, I'd swear that you were Roy, the electrical retard. You even beat him on stupidity level though.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Always glad to cheer you up, Archie!

Reply to
Greegor

They actually last longer than batteries in the South. You're right that batteries need do produce more, and can't, when it's cold, but heat kills 'em. You'll find they last around twice as long in the North, compared to the deep South or South West. I would expect this difference to be even more pronounced with deep cycle batteries than starter batteries.

Everyone should be. It's a dumb idea.

Reply to
krw

They actually last longer than batteries in the South. You're right that batteries need do produce more, and can't, when it's cold, but heat kills 'em. You'll find they last around twice as long in the North, compared to the deep South or South West. I would expect this difference to be even more pronounced with deep cycle batteries than starter batteries.

Bunch of nonsense.

I live around Burnaby BC and the climate is much warmer than my old place. Batteries have less relative load on them, due to **NOT** diminished capacity and last much longer then when I lived in colder climates. Killing a battery is more likely to happen in the cold weather and the batteries are only good for so many times at that.

Mike

Reply to
m II

C'mon, Mike,

Burnaby is on the Canadian Riviera.

Cheers

Phil "From Vancouver" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You've always been a clueless ass.

Good grief. Get a brain!

You're simply wrong. Think "chemical reaction".

Reply to
krw

Like Dimmie's meth lab?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There's a meth lab in the janitor's closet?

Reply to
krw

This juvenile bastard has been forging my identity over a couple of Usenet groups. His name is Josepi, or Gimmy Bob, or another of a dozen other aliases.

He has lost two accounts already because of his juvenile ignorance.

The real poster lives in Ontario, Canada and can be spotted easily, as he knows everything about everything.

I've notified his internet provider concerning his forgeries.

Please check the headers, the forgeries are easy to spot.

Forging identities on the internet is against the law and terms of service.

mike

Reply to
m II

This juvenile bastard has been forging my identity over a couple of Usenet groups. His name is Josepi, or Gimmy Bob, or another of a dozen other aliases.

He has lost two accounts already because of his juvenile ignorance.

The real poster lives in Ontario, Canada and can be spotted easily, as he knows everything about everything.

I've notified his internet provider concerning his forgeries.

Please check the headers, the forgeries are easy to spot.

Forging identities on the internet is against the law and terms of service.

mike

Reply to
m II

Depends on the country. Many are not as scrupulous as the nations with more on the ball.

In most countries, but again, not all.

Why do you think all the spam and scams centralize from one nation or another? It is because the source nation in question is one where policing the net is a low or NON priority.

josepi is a Usenet retard.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

We are in agreement on that. Nice to see a civil post from you.

mike

Reply to
m II

A 542 line post proves that you are just as much of an abuser of the forum as he could ever be.

Get a clue, you retarded twit. We do not need to see your cut and paste of your pathetic meanderings.

Participate in the group with on topic posts or responses. This "pissed off idiot posting bullshit about other idiots" crap is for the birds, idiot.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan