Wire spring configuration links

I'm looking for some old style wire spring configuration links like these:

DK / Mouser have remnants of these parts on their sites as they've been discontinued.

Anyone know of a current source or manufacturer??

Reply to
axolotyl

That's weird. Is it basically a switch? If so, maybe use a slide switch.

lunatic fringe electronics

Looks horribly unreliable--no wiping action, and vulnerable to fretting. Why not a C-grid header and jumpers?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yep, just a switch. Some are just SPST but they do changeover versions too.

They are very strong and robust with lots of spring pressure. I'm trying not to use slide switches or dip switches as the board is located in wet dirty remote locations.

Reply to
axolotyl

** Ever thought of using a reed switch operated by a small magnet?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The spring pressure is pretty high. They used to be widely used in telecomms gear.

I'm trying to avoid jumpers as they tend to get lost occasionally. These will be operated / changed in the field in remote outdoor locations so I'm trying to avoid links.

Reply to
axolotyl

A cordless soldering iron?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There are sealed dip switches.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've never seen any decent dip switches (got a pointer?). I always use jumpers. They're a lot more reliable.

Reply to
krw

TYCO AMP 3-435668-4 4 pole, sealed

TYCO AMP 2-435668-8 8p sealed

Seem reliable. We've used about 21,000 so far, no problems.

We need to production test all possible address or option paths, and it's easy to walk a dip switch. Easy for the users, too.

lunatic fringe electronics

I guess that's an option but the magnet would have to be moveable and parkable somewhere. I'd be worried about users losing it. Thanks.

Reply to
axolotyl

Horror! It's a big enough worry that the end users get near the gear with a screw driver!

Reply to
axolotyl

Interesting, I hadn't seen them before, they might be useful in another project.

Unfortunately for this job they cost more than my entire PCB BOM.

Reply to
axolotyl

Did you try putting part numbers into octopart?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I looked them up on Digikey. Interesting but it didn't show the mechanics. How well are they sealed? I've had nothing but problems with DIP-switches (and would never use them in a product for more than one reason). I'll have to buy some and take a look, though.

Reply to
krw

Well, then you just hang a few spare jumpers on the header--one pin only, so they don't connect to anything. Then they don't get lost.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We don't have problems with dip switches, but our products are generally used in a clean environment.

We sometimes use the tiny half-pitch (50 mil) switches too. They are harder to operate.

lunatic fringe electronics

Or hang them across the common side pins, if there is one.

Reply to
krw

That thing looks like some kind of plated steel wire. I would not expect it to maintain a solid connection for a long time in wet/dirty conditions. Gold would be better, a semi-hermetic switch with gold contacts would likely be a lot more reliable. Modern sealed DIP switches are quite reliable.

Also, gold shunts on gold-plated jumper headers are quite reliable. If it isn't gold on gold, I really don't want to hear about it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson