wire sleeve for inductor winding

Hi,

I am winding some 12gauge equivalent litz wire (660 strands of 38 AWG wire) onto a plastic inductor bobbin (EE65 ferrite core) and would like to have 500Volt insulation between the windings. I was thinking a fiberglass braided sleeve around the wire would work, is this a good choice or is there a better way to insulate the wire from one turn to the next? I plan on using 1 or two layers on the inductor, the max voltage across the inductor is about 500V, so for one layer of 8 turns, maybe the enamel on the litz wire is sufficient, or is it still good to use a wire sleeve? The litz wire is "unserved", so it is just the 12 turns per foot, and no "circumferentially" wound string on it which could help with insulation if it was there.

Here is some fiberglass sleeve I Was looking at:

Any other good solutions?

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

Two layers of masking tape works well enough. Soak in hot wax to fix things together semipermanently (ok fine, transformer varnish).

Tim

/fiberglass/

Reply to
Tim Williams

That is roughly 60V per turn and should be well within insulation specs for the single layer enamel coating.

Reply to
Robert Baer