Windows XP Intermittent Problem

I have this intermittent problem in Windows XP:

Windows Explorer periodically will stop allowing copy and paste of files.

Restarting Windows Explorer fixes it... for awhile.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Not that this is of any real help, but I have seem the same thing. I, too, had to restart XP to get copy/paste to work.

Remember that XP is like a woman -- you can't live with it and ...

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Yes. Post your question to an APPROPRIATE newsgroup.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I believe this is "normal". On busy days I see that happen 2-3 times/day, plus the occasional situation where its whole left pane is gray and frozen solid.

Oh, and then my webcam occasionally turn itself on lately.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't have to restart XP, just Windows Explorer.

Sno-o-o-o-ort! I've been married to the same woman for almost 49 years... I know all too well ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Big Brother IS watching ;-)

...Jim Thompson

      Diplomacy:  Kissing ass when we should be kicking ass.

Looks more like another Windows glitch. Since the time this started happening the explanation blurbs behind the right side task bar icons also have become useless. They are now behind the taskbar and this time refresh does not fix it. Duh!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My father in law once asked his beloved at the occasion of their 43rd: How many more to go? She did _not_ think that was funny.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I once said, "It seems longer than that"... NOT a good thing to say ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Does it just quietly not do it or does it give a message? One reason XP may not let you do things is it may think that the file is in use.

Does it copy the files very slowly when it does copy them? Does it randomly freeze and then restart will doing to copy? Does Clippey pop up and suggest that you do something else instead. If so, this is normal.

Reply to
MooseFET

And so is an abort a little above 1GB during backup runs.

I wonder when the time will come where Clippy tells us to turn off the peecee and grab a bottle of Southern Comfort.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No messages. I just go to copy a file and find it won't take.

That's possible but, as I said, no messages.

Nope. It's snappy when functioning.

No.

What's "Clippey"? I don't recognize that term.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

The windows version of Safari runs as well on XP as it does on OSX. I believe it's free from Apple.

Reply to
Don Bowey

But how are you copying them? Drag, or right-click and select copy and paste? Can you at least highlight the files? If so can you select copy and paste from the edit menu?

Anyway, I'd run chkdsk/f and then sfc/scannow.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

It applies to MS Office, not explorer.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Kinda like the answer (any answer) to "does this dress make me look fat?"

--
Keith
Reply to

Not sure if this will help(?!), but I found the following online:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp

.customize (More info?)

Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things like saved folder settings. Type Regedit in Start - Run Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu

/wiki/Start_menu now disappear). This is a clean shutdown unlike using Task Manager
_manager .

In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer and delete the value Shellstate

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer \\Cabinet State and delete the value Settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer \\Streams HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer \\Streams MRU (may not exist) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Shell\\BagMRU HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Shell\\Bags HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ShellNoRoam\\BagMRU HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ShellNoRoam\\Bags [the above one is what reset deletes, 90% of the time it is sufficient but

10% of the time the BagMRU needs to be deleted too. If you know what cross linked files are the same thing is happening here - the BagMRU point to the wrong Bag or serveral BagMRU point to the same bag]

Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come back).

You then need to reconfigure explorer and the desktop.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

That blows the "in use" theory out of the water, I think.

[....]

I was thinking that perhaps it was either the antivirus or DRM software not liking something about the files. I think this theory is also junked.

Its the evil little paper clip thing in MS Office. It pops up to give you advice. The advice is usually in the form of:

You appear to be using Windows. Would you like to install Linux?

Reply to
MooseFET

WARNING WARNING !!! Danger Will Robinson!!!!

Do not ever run chkdsk /f without first saving a back up of your machine. chkdsk alone just checks the disk for logical errors. The / f makes it try to fix any errors it finds. You may or may not have a working system when it is done.

Reply to
MooseFET

And his last words were, "Don't blame the dress, you are fat!"... R.I.P.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell