windows grrrrrr

Why isn't there an easy way to copy a folder between drives and only copy the new files? It's silly to overwrite 15,000 files for a backup, when only a few have changed.

I could write a mess of specialized xcopy batch files, or kluge up some sort of utility, but there ought to be a fix for this.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

Use backup/sync software. If a file was changed, it's overwritten. If it's new, it's copied. So simple that even Bloggs could use it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's irritating that they allow a "yes to all" but not a "no to all" option.

Second Copy works pretty well for crude, but effective, backups. You just set it to run at some specific time (say 4AM) and it does. The version I have doesn't copy open files, but apparently they've fixed that. The only issue I've noticed is that it grabs files while it's copying so it can lock out other programs that run periodically (such as mail programs), causing errors.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Total Commander has that function, "overwrite new only" and a lot of other options. It has been my best friend for ages (I have real frinds also)

It is shareware... (does un-cryption of pdfs also)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

rsync. Works like a champ--another one I use daily. You can also do it bidirectionally, using unison, but it takes a lot more setup.

I also use git, which is a super-fast and lightweight version control system, for a lot of my backups. That way I not only get good backups, but I can retrieve any old version of anything, back to when the repository was first created. I used to use date-labelled zipfiles for that, and when I switched over, I wrote a script that unzipped each of the zipfiles into the same directory, overwriting old versions, and created a git commit after each one.

That way I have git repositories that go back way before git was written. A software time machine. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

options. It has been my best friend for ages (I have real frinds also)

Hi, Klaus

Can it drag-copy folders between panes, with only newer files copied? Or would I have to type a command?

I have a terabyte USB hard drive that I like to dump things onto, for backup and to load them onto other computers. Windows drag-drop copy works, but takes hours to over-write existing files. I do want the flexibility of manually copying stuff, so I prefer to not use some automatic backup program.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

I've used FolderMatch for years as a way of controlling/copying/overwriting of device and symbol libraries and schematics...

since I maintain multiple copies of client work-product. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Try FreeFileSync, maybe?

Which reminds me -- Do backups before The Storm hits!

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

What storm ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

options. It has been my best friend for ages (I have real frinds also)

From a command window,

rsync -rtpP sourcedir destdir

Try it, you'll like it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

options. It has been my best friend for ages (I have real frinds also)

You have at least two options. There's a button to click for copy. At the first overwrite, you get the option to overwrite only older files or not at all or... The synchronize directories tool is good for this. Try TC, you'll never go back.

Reply to
mike

One other thing.

That syntax will copy everything into destdir\sourcedir, which is what I usually want. Put a trailing slash on sourcedir if you want it to work like XCOPY, i.e. putting the files into destdir instead of destdir\sourcedir.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I use MS's SyncToy. I use it to update the NAS drive with my files that have changed. Works great and ONLY messes with the files that have changed.

WangoTango

It has FTP connect also, and perhaps the function I use the most is the tab s. Last used directories when closed is displayed at startup, and tabs make s fast switching between dirs easy. More stuff like search for files with s pecified creation dates, names etc along with searches inside files.

I use it also to backup to a NAS storage, with 10 Tbytes.

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

Another nice feature, if you need to go into a directory, but there is many, press Alt-g and start letter, then only dirs with that starting letter is shown

/klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

Microsoft's free Synctoy does that with the "contribute" option. There are other options.

Checking for Dup's in 15,000 files is a lot harder. I have not found a free solution that works. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

As far as I know, windows has had a folder sync option for a while now.

Long ago I used to use my own software to do such task, most of which was and is available in third party tools. If you're able to write yourown in short time, why not.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

How DARE you growl? I am a Baer and allowed to growl; you are not even a respectable animal!

  • Copy all? Drag folder from its limb/root to other drive - same logical place. Copy only new files? Is that not what "mobsynch" supposed to be for?
Reply to
Robert Baer

Late at night, by candle light, John Larkin penned this immortal opus:

Windows Explorer is rubbish, get yourself a decent file manager. Try some of the free apps at nonags.com and choose one to your liking.

Personally I use an ancient copy of Windows Commander, still works fine under XP. It has the option of overwriting only older files.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

I use MS RoboCopy. It can compare directories and copy only changed and newer files. I use it for a secondary backup to a usb drive.

Martin Riddle