Windows 8 Program Data Files

I have an older program that stores lots of data in the program files installation directory. Under Vista I was able to view these files in the file explorer. Under Windows 8 they fake out these types of programs moving any files written to by the program to another directory. I thought this was under the user directory AppData or something similar, but I can't find it there. It's not under c:\ProgramData either.

Any suggestions? I know it is out there somewhere as the program is working with a fair amount of data in it.

--

Rick
Reply to

In your explorer options do you have hidden files made visible?

AppData is a subdir of the c:\Users\ directory. It does not always appear under your live session "My Documents area like it used to, so you have to navigate to it directly.

"fake out" is an ambiguous inane term. But whatever, dude.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den tirsdag den 9. februar 2016 kl. 16.53.13 UTC+1 skrev rickman:

the usual trick is to do a save-as and figure out the path from the file dialog

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In Win7 it's (default) in

C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Application_name

(replace User_name and Application_name with appropriate strings, obviously).

Windows may try to hide the folder from you if you haven't turned off that part of the stupidity.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I've never seen that work and it doesn't work here.

I have show hidden files selected so I can see the AppData folder.

--

Rick
Reply to

That did it! Thanks.

This should not be a hidden directory. These are files that need to be backed up! I have no idea what Microsoft is thinking about when they do stuff like this.

--

Rick
Reply to

Try to do that in Win8 or Win10 and you should get a permissions error warning that you need admin rights to do that.

It should allow you to find it on the disk though. Save file as "some_really_weird_name" then use search for files to locate it.

Or simply search for a filename you know already exists.

If all else fails then from a DOS prompt use

attrib *.* to locate files hidden in a directory

or

dir some_really_weird_name /s/p

to find wherever the system has hidden it for you.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Oh, that should be obvious by now: They are thinking about how to extract the greatest possible amount of money from as many clients as possible.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

One thing yoo can do to avoid this nonsense is to install the main program in some other place, like your username folder. Then the program and data can stay together. And be backed up together.

Mind you, I personally think its better to have the data separate from the program, but not all programs allow this.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

All you need to do is get to your user folder and add to the path line up in the edit box users\xxx\xxx\AppData just type at the end of the line and there you go. at least that works for me on 7

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I'm not sure what problem this solves. I have access to the AppData folder just fine. The issue was figuring out where windows was stashing the files. Turns out it is under a folder called "VirtualStore". Go figure!

--

Rick
Reply to

Yeah, I know. This particular program won't find the data if it's not in the program files directory... at least I think. I am going to be digging into it a bit now that I've found the files.

--

Rick
Reply to

I generally press the "windows" key then type "%APPDATA%". Hit enter.

Most of it is in there or go up a level for some other variants (Local, LocalLow,Roaming subfolders).

I use W7 for windows but it always seems to work AFAIK.

--

John Devereux
Reply to