Win Hill: AOE 3rd Edn. not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk

Win,

Do you have any idea what the problem is?

"While this item is available from other Marketplace Sellers on this page, it's not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are dispatching it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Den torsdag den 17. december 2015 kl. 23.37.14 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

I think I read on the eevblog that some had it delivered in a very flimsy packaging so it was damaged in shipping

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Over the last six months I purchased several copies from Amazon (US warehouse near me), and they were all shipped in a bigger box with no packing material, and were subject to severe damage. Thankfully, none was damaged. Today I received another order. It was finally properly packaged with a shrink-wrapped bottom plate in a larger box.

It was the 5th printing. This one has had hundreds of typos and errors fixed (thanks to many reader's timely notices) and the text, figures, tables and formulas are now largely free from further errors. :-) Just for now, Amazon is selling it for 30% off, or $84 each.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

l.com:

Did you ever get around to fixing Fig. 6.42 on page 416?

It claims to show a full 360 degree all-pass shifter, but the circuit looks like a Wien bridge with incorrect gain-setting resistor values.

It won't do what the text says it does, and Williams and Taylor show rather different circuit - with two op amps - to do the job. My clever friend in Edinburgh has a one op amp circuit that does the 360 degree phase shift, at constant amplitude, but the output amplitude is a constant at roughly one third of the input.

E-mail me and I'll send you the .asc files. I thought that I'd done that si x months ago, but there's no trace of it in my e-mail files, though the rel evant Spice models are dated around the 20th June 2015.

It's obvious enough to me to make me suspect that your publisher may have p ut it in as an anti-piracy device ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thanks for the update. Maybe I shouldn't delay any longer and take the plunge as soon as Amazon UK have stock again.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

ail.com:

ks like a Wien bridge with incorrect gain-setting resistor values.

er different circuit - with two op amps - to do the job. My clever friend i n Edinburgh has a one op amp circuit that does the 360 degree phase shift, at constant amplitude, but the output amplitude is a constant at roughly on e third of the input.

six months ago, but there's no trace of it in my e-mail files, though the r elevant Spice models are dated around the 20th June 2015.

Huh, yeah that doesn't seem to work. Can you post the *.asc file here?

Or find a link to the two opamp version. (I don't have Williams and Taylor .) Searching the web I can only find the "classic" all-pass.

George H.

put it in as an anti-piracy device ...

Reply to
George Herold

gmail.com:

ooks like a Wien bridge with incorrect gain-setting resistor values.

ther different circuit - with two op amps - to do the job. My clever friend in Edinburgh has a one op amp circuit that does the 360 degree phase shift , at constant amplitude, but the output amplitude is a constant at roughly one third of the input.

t six months ago, but there's no trace of it in my e-mail files, though the relevant Spice models are dated around the 20th June 2015.

or.)

Never mind the correction is here...

Change the feedback R.

George H.

ve put it in as an anti-piracy device ...

Reply to
George Herold

You must be the last one left who hasn't ordered at least one copy.

C'mon, get with the program! Some of us have already been back for seconds.

I hear there are marathons where groups of engineers read the first, second and third editions cover-to-cover, or maybe I'm thinking of Star Wars.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 11:53:05 -0500, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

So, reading them is also "an art".

Hahahahah... sure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well I hope the 3rd edition doesn't have Ewoks.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I don't have one. I saw Win's spoiler.-

Reply to
krw

Is the US warehouse in Illinois? Amazon's a mixed bag for me. Sometimes it delivers the goods, and at other times it only delivers a facsimile of the goods.

What's the best bet, in your opinion, of getting a genuine fifth printing of AoE (and not a first printing masquerading as a fifth printing)? TIA.

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

Is the errata available for download, for those of us with an early printing?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Good question, Amazon does not list the Printing. So I guess it's pot luck.

Martin Riddle

I think Amazon has many warehouses, which to some extent operate each with their own inventory, although sometimes they ship from one warehouse to another. I was hoping to see a 4th printing (already had most of the fixes), but was pleasantly surprised to get the recent 5th printing.

The safest place to get the latest printing is to order a copy from Cambridge University Press, but they don't offer any discount.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

How can the buyer distinguish between them?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

.@gmail.com:

looks like a Wien bridge with incorrect gain-setting resistor values.

rather different circuit - with two op amps - to do the job. My clever frie nd in Edinburgh has a one op amp circuit that does the 360 degree phase shi ft, at constant amplitude, but the output amplitude is a constant at roughl y one third of the input.

hat six months ago, but there's no trace of it in my e-mail files, though t he relevant Spice models are dated around the 20th June 2015.

ylor.)

From 10k to 2k, which is substantial.

And drop the output amplitude to a fifth of the input amplitude, which puts the circuit in a rather different ball-park from 6.41

And for most real op amps you need to put a capacitor in parallel with the

10k feedback resistor to compensate for the input capacitance of the real o p amp. Sometimes the parallel capacitance of a real resistor is high enough to do the job, and some op amps don't have enough gain-bandwidth for it to be a worry.

Not Win at his best.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We apologize for our initial error in transcribing the circuit.

Genin (see ref to his 1968 paper in the caption of Figure 6.42, I'll email a copy on request) calls his circuit a variation of a Wien bridge. He derives an equation showing that gain must be exactly 1/5 to achieve perfect constancy with frequency. I confirmed this with some SPICE modeling.

There's no excess capacitance on the op-amp's summing junction, just two resistors, so no feedback capacitor is necessary.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

ail.com:

ks like a Wien bridge with incorrect gain-setting resistor values.

er different circuit - with two op amps - to do the job. My clever friend i n Edinburgh has a one op amp circuit that does the 360 degree phase shift, at constant amplitude, but the output amplitude is a constant at roughly on e third of the input.

six months ago, but there's no trace of it in my e-mail files, though the r elevant Spice models are dated around the 20th June 2015.

put it in as an anti-piracy device ...

Good catch. However, see this 2nd order all pass:

ring

which I saw in basic form in one of Analog Devices' books on Analog Design (chapter 8, active filters, appendix).

Cheers, RS

Reply to
Rich S

Oops. Right.